Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Should I build (2 or 3) 4Pi Mains?
Should I build (2 or 3) 4Pi Mains? [message #69287] Fri, 02 September 2011 02:57 Go to next message
Maxjr is currently offline  Maxjr
Baron
I'm in the process of deciding how many 4Pi mains to build for my home theater. I can't decide between two or three. I can't wait to hear everyones opinions Smile building two will definitely be cheaper, so how much better will it sound with a 4Pi center channel?
Re: Should I build Two or Three 4Pi Mains? [message #69290 is a reply to message #69287] Fri, 02 September 2011 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petew is currently offline  petew
Viscount
Give us some specifics about your room and other gear. Are you using a projector? What size is your room? How many seats?

Phantom center works well, but anyone sitting way off axis will not get the "effect". The fours have a wide sweet spot, so depending on the specifics of your setup, two may work great.
Re: Should I build Two or Three 4Pi Mains? [message #69303 is a reply to message #69290] Fri, 02 September 2011 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
petew wrote on Fri, 02 September 2011 07:15
Give us some specifics about your room and other gear. Are you using a projector? What size is your room? How many seats?

Phantom center works well, but anyone sitting way off axis will not get the "effect". The fours have a wide sweet spot, so depending on the specifics of your setup, two may work great.

I currently have my theater setup in my living room. I have a 50" plasma, and two couches, but will be remodeling later this year and do a DIY screen with projector and individual seats. I will probably have six seats as there is normally only three of us that watch movies together on a regular basis. My room is 19' x 22' x 10'.

Do you think two 4Pis will work while I use the plasma, and add a third when I do the projector setup? I don't foresee the seating positions ever being really wide (probably 2 rows of 3 seats). Maybe I won't even see the benefit of a center with narrow setup?
Re: Should I build Two or Three 4Pi Mains? [message #69306 is a reply to message #69303] Fri, 02 September 2011 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Our plasma TV is 50" also. The speakers are outside that, angled in as described in the "High-Fidelity Uniform-Directivity Loudspeakers" whitepaper. There is absolutely no need for a center channel using this setup. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a center channel unless the seperation between R/L channels was greater than 20 feet.

index.php?t=getfile&id=445

Re: Should I build Two or Three 4Pi Mains? [message #69307 is a reply to message #69306] Fri, 02 September 2011 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
In my opinion, I would build 4 speakers, and buy a vintage Marantz quadraphonic receiver to power them. Cool
A fully retro system!
Re: Should I build Two or Three 4Pi Mains? [message #69308 is a reply to message #69306] Sat, 03 September 2011 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 02 September 2011 22:59

Our plasma TV is 50" also. The speakers are outside that, angled in as described in the "High-Fidelity Uniform-Directivity Loudspeakers" whitepaper. There is absolutely no need for a center channel using this setup. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a center channel unless the seperation between R/L channels was greater than 20 feet.

index.php?t=getfile&id=445

Thank you for the clear and succinct response, Wayne! I'm happy to hear this and only build two as that will reduce the costs by 50% ! I need to rereading that Hi-Fi Uniform Directivity Loudspeaker whitepaper again. Very Happy
Re: Should I build Two or Three 4Pi Mains? [message #69312 is a reply to message #69308] Sat, 03 September 2011 08:16 Go to previous message
Danny is currently offline  Danny
Master
Wow, that's a great room! It's like that spot was just made for your setup there. And the lighting and view are just awesome!
Previous Topic: 1/2 PI Crossover
Next Topic: 4pi and 2pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 16:13:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout