Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi Speaker Plans request
Re: Brainstorming my speaker strategy [message #69168 is a reply to message #69167] Wed, 24 August 2011 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're definitely on the right track with the four π mains and multisubs. They are a significant upgrade over what you have right now. They're as loud as those Cerwin Vegas and much, much cleaner. No offense, those CVs are good party speakers with plenty of bass. But four π speakers with multisubs are in a different class, night and day better sounding.

This is especially true if you get the fully upgraded four π speakers with top-of-the-line drivers. But even just the stock drivers are much, much better than Vegas, which always defined the standard definition of mudmotor bass to me. Still, go with the upgraded drivers, because the speaker still doesn't cost much for what you get, which is a price-no-object, world class audiophile speaker that can hit concert sound pressure levels. It's delicate and powerful, all in the same package.

I would go with a pair of three π subs flanking the mains, and maybe another pair further away. The choice on whether or not to go with two or four is really dependent on how much damping your room provides for its modes. I'd probably go with two flanking subs first, because those are definitely needed to smooth the floor bounce and back wall notches, which is in the midbass to lower midrange. They'll also smooth other room modes, but maybe not the deepest one. If you still have a valley somewhere in the room in the 30-50Hz range, then go with another sub or two placed further away.

Setup in the room as shown in the document I referenced earlier. The crossed-axes configuration provides a natural phantom center channel. It gives great imaging over a large area, basically a really wide sweet spot. So you can throw your center channnel speaker away. Put a pair of one π's or two π's on each side of the listening area for surrounds, if desired.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Used / Second Hand JBL 2225H
Next Topic: 4 pi, oh my!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 12 00:30:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects