Home » Audio » Measurement » To measure or not to measure (and what good is it anyway?)
Re: To measure or not to measure (and what good is it anyway?) [message #68624 is a reply to message #68622] Mon, 18 July 2011 14:16 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's interesting, isn't it? I depend on measurements more than I trust my ears, but yeah, I think it's important to make the right interpretation of what you see. A good example is that square wave thing. There's no need for bandwidth outside the audible range, so the 10x below and 10x above factor is important to know when looking at the output signals. If it passes a good square wave from 200Hz to 2kHz, it's fine, and even better if it does like yours do - from 100Hz to 4kHz. But to expect an amplifier with coupling components to pass a square wave above or below that is unrealistic. Unimportant too. Like you said, I've heard many terrible sounding amps that passed DC to way up, but who cares? That's not the only metric, or even the most important one. Use a sweep to get the response curve, don't look at square waves. That's just what comes in vogue every now and then on messageboards, silly stuff that gets meaningless chatter.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon11.gif
Read Message