Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build
4pi Commercial Dinner Theater Build [message #68600] Sun, 17 July 2011 19:02 Go to previous message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
Greetings! I am maintaining a build thread for a new Dinner Theater at our family's winery in Iowa. We are completely remodeling a 5,000 sq ft church build in 1930 into our new winery location. I will post a link to my build thread on the AVS Forum later (I'm typing this on my phone). If you want to see a photo album of our progress on the overall project see "Van Wijk Winery" on Facebook.

Anyway, thought I would keep a diary of my 4pi builds here so that I might get some feedback from the man himself or other enthusiasts better equipped to answer questions specific to the pi speakers.

I started my first 4pi speaker using a 7ply 23/32 Arauco found at Lowes. After making a few errors, such as putting in the rear panel and bracing before putting in the port, I decided to start from scratch and use that first speaker as my learning curve. After sifting through 20 sheets of 13ply North American Birch at Lowes I finally became frustrated and finally did some research on other local lumber stores. I found a woodsmith store literally 4 blocks from my house that sells the Baltic Birch in 5' x 5' sheets for $60/sheet (among other quality varieties). All of this time I thought those knocking Lowes' and HD's plywood selection were just being snobs. But after just a little experience working with some of them, I realize that those other 'big box' lumber stores'lumber isn't even in the same league as the Baltic Birch. So, either I was wrong before, or I am a snob now too Wink

I will post a few pics later, but in the mean time a couple of questions I hope to find quick answers to:

1. I have read a few posts from Wayne about making the center channel sealed. I wanted to see about feedback for our specific application. In addition to the three 4pi speakers being used for LCR duty behind a 180" acoustically transparent screen, four F20 horned subs of lilmike's design using the Reference HF driver will be integrated behind the wall under the creen pointing at the audience. While I will mirror the right channel with the port left of the horn, is there ANY advantage to making our center channel sealed?

2. I notice that the space above the port is 3/4 inch. Is that space supposed to be there? More to the point, is there any disadvantage to sandwiching another piece of 10" x 5" above the port so that it may have extra support by being able to screw into the port from the top as well as the side?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message