Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi Port Options
4Pi Port Options [message #68142] Sat, 11 June 2011 20:30 Go to next message
tgaffner is currently offline  tgaffner
Esquire
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building 3 4Pis. The center is going to be sealed, so there is no concern there. However, I am curious about the ports for the left and right channels.

How many different options are there? As far as relocating them, going to a round port, 2 ports, so on and so forth.

So basically if you have any ideas on altering the port from the stock plan, please tell me what they are, how you did it, and how did it work.
Re: 4Pi Port Options [message #68144 is a reply to message #68142] Sat, 11 June 2011 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's no room on the baffle for round ports. That's why it's layed out the way it is. That one is a tight fit.

Re: 4Pi Port Options [message #68145 is a reply to message #68144] Sun, 12 June 2011 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blvdre is currently offline  blvdre
Baron
...and if you mirror the ports from right to left, it's a nice clean look.
Re: 4Pi Port Options [message #68153 is a reply to message #68145] Sun, 12 June 2011 15:10 Go to previous message
Dave_S is currently offline  Dave_S
Chancellor
In a stock enclosure there is no way two round ports would fit. The flared ports also take up a lot of area on the baffle.

I am in the middle of my 4 Pi build. I modified the enclsoure size to increase the bass response. Right now, I have them taken apart to do the veneer and trim work. I will do a build report in 2-3 weeks after they are done and I have had time to do some sound measurements. I tested them before finished to make sure that my modified design did not have major sound issues that would cause me to have to cut the enclures apart again. They sound really good and I had a hard time putting my old speakers back in place.

The larger cabinet size dictated larger ports or ports that were too short to make sense. I like the rectangular ports, but I was trying to avoid making a long narrow slot that is supposed to be more prone to standing wave issues. The round ports seemed safer and easier to tweak/tune for my modified design.

index.php?t=getfile&id=487&private=0
Previous Topic: Horn for 3pi?
Next Topic: 4 Pi Plan Request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 16:16:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers