Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Veneering advice
Veneering advice [message #67196] Sun, 24 April 2011 14:00 Go to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Like the guy who wrote this article, I've tried every type of glue. My first 2Pis I used hot hide glue, 3M 77 spray (a disaster) on the Theatre 4s I had at MAF, Urea resin PPR on the fancy sorta Model 19s and Contact for my current 4 Pis.

I don't have a vacuum bag and cold-press is a pain; too many clamps and too much time involved. Hide glue is great in the winter 'cause it's the cool down that makes the glue stick, but like the guy says, a little heat and game over. Good friend Bill Martinelli likes iron down as does Bob Brines but they use unbacked or paper-backed veneer; right now I have NBL on hand.

That leaves contact, the overwhelming choice of pro cabinet shops for even really high-end construction. It's gotten a bad rap on the speaker-building boards but thats your Internet in action: bad advice at the speed of light.

I went looking for a little help 'cause my current project has rounded edges and came across Saguaro Man. He obviously has been there and done that:

http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/VeneerTutorial.pdf

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2pi speakers
Next Topic: 4pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 16:02:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio