Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi - 4Pi In Nearfield, <7 feet?
3Pi - 4Pi In Nearfield, <7 feet? [message #67151] Wed, 20 April 2011 23:12 Go to next message
kristian is currently offline  kristian
Esquire
Greetings Ladies (in the off chance) and Gentlemen,

Having been bitten severely by the horn bug after owning Klipsch Cornwall IIIs in a great room, I was saddened by having to sell them due to a move to a house with a small listening triangle. It is an open 600-sq.ft. space, but the listening triangle only allows 6-7 feet from the speakers in an equilateral triangle. I dread the idea of non-horns, toy with the idea of Klipsch Heresy IIIs, but I worry about being so close to 3-ways. I suddenly recalled Pi speakers, great 2-way horns, and I'm hoping, eureka!

So, how are 3Pis and 4Pis in the nearfield? Main differences? less bass is probably good--this is a small condo. They will likely run off a Musical Fidelity 35 wpc class-A amplifier. 3Pis with the AE woofers?
Thanks,

Kristian
Seattle

Re: 3Pi - 4Pi setup [message #67157 is a reply to message #67151] Thu, 21 April 2011 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The sound is balanced and the woofer/tweeter intetration is good, even up pretty close to the speakers, within just a foot or two. The thing is, you have to be a little further back to get stereo integration in any room. I mean, if the speakers are close together, then you could sit up close and hear them both but otherwise, you'd be a lot closer to one than the other. So the best range of distances is not set by the speaker, but by the setup.
Re: 3Pi - 4Pi In Nearfield, <7 feet? [message #67161 is a reply to message #67151] Thu, 21 April 2011 13:16 Go to previous message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
Hi Kristian,

I agree with Wayne. I listen to my 4 Pis in a small listening room with the speakers only about 8 ft from my chair but away from the corners of the room a good bit. The sound is well integrated, bass is balanced and soundstage extends well beyond the speakers filling the room but with good specificity of images. Wonderful!

Garland
Previous Topic: best choice for DJ studio
Next Topic: 4Pi metric adjustments
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 16:43:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers