Home » Audio » Speaker » The AudioKarma Econo-Waveguide Speaker (A Waveguide Speaker for the Great Unwashed Masses)
Re: The AudioKarma Econo-Waveguide Speaker [message #67019 is a reply to message #67017] Tue, 12 April 2011 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks good, Fred. I spoke with Evan from time to time and we regularly exchanged emails, so I was sad to hear of his passing.

You know, the Econowave was inspired by my three π / four π matched-directivity loudspeakers. It shares the same design concepts, and even uses my crossover. I was pretty regular on the Econowave thread when it was being developed, since they had chosen to use my crossover topology and because there was so much overlap in design approaches. I helped them understand the way to steer the position of the forward lobe and vertical nulls with crossover slope and driver spacing.

The whole Econowave thing reminds me very much of the early days of the Pi Speakers forum. Ten years ago, I had a lot more time to kick around new drivers, mods and things like that. We used a lot of different drivers and even a handful of different horns. So there was a lot of activity and various directions that people went in. Eventuallly things sort of gelled into a smaller number of highly optimized designs, which are more refined but less DIY-tinker-able. I see this as an evolution path for the Ewave guys too. It has already started going that way, in fact.

Please keep us posed with your progress. I think you'll find a lot in common with the three π loudspeaker. The only real difference is in the drivers you choose. I really like it, and think it is an excellent design. I guess that goes without saying, but there, I said it anyway. Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message