Home » Audio » Movies & Music » One Favorite New Album From Each Genre'( That You Own)
One Favorite New Album From Each Genre'( That You Own) [message #6691] Wed, 12 April 2006 18:09 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Not Vintage Stuff Unless it's a re-issue and you just bought it. I mean you could include Abbey Road if you just picked up the new Capital Re-Issues. Or Say A Joni Mitchell Retrospective. She has one out I believe. Something newly issued in some way or other.
Rock
Blues
Jazz
Pop
Classical
Country
Bluegrass
World Music
Off The Wall/ spoken word
Swing
I'll give this a try. See what comes up.

Re: Kinda tuff 'cause I only buy at shows [message #6692 is a reply to message #6691] Wed, 12 April 2006 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
But I just finished cleaning 2 sealed treasures: Count Basie and Jimmy Rushing; Dizzy Gillespie the Sonny Stitt/Sonny Rollins Sessions.
The only new new records I've bought lately are a disappointing Classic Saint-Saens 3 (noisy) and the 2 Rounder Label Alison Krause: Dynamite. The $90 price tag, however represents 12 or 15 from a record show.
Or a pair of Sylvania 5751's for my Cornet phono stage.

Re: One Favorite New Album From Each Genre'( That You Own) [message #6693 is a reply to message #6691] Wed, 12 April 2006 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I wish I could show off here but I never buy anything anymore.

Was spoiled by getting free recordings doing radio.

So where would ska and techno and house and trance fit into this
schema?

Is conjunto World music or just polka-- the polka that
Latinos learned from German immigrants (no lie, this is true:
at a national folk music convention in Washington a few years
ago, the German and Mexican bands shared the same stage because
of the shared heritage)?

Re: Kinda tuff 'cause I only buy at shows [message #6694 is a reply to message #6692] Thu, 13 April 2006 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I stopped by two local shows recently but I don't see much worth getting anymore. Unless you are willing to drop twenty bucks on an LP that you are not sure was properly cared for that leaves the 2 and 5 dollar racks. I see a lot of stuff I would have grabbed ten years ago but now I have most of what I might want. I find buying the occasional new re-issue my usual purchase now. There are several good used stores around here and sometimes they let slip something good for a fair price; but with e-bay and the net most of whats worth owning in vinyl is well documented and priced accordingly.
Lots of what interests me now is almost unavailable. Most of the older pshycadelic music is now popular so ..Bam! Huge price increase.
But those are good examples;
Jimmy Rushing..Mr 5by5!
The Classic; did you try Disc Doctor?

Re: One Favorite New Album From Each Genre'( That You Own) [message #6695 is a reply to message #6693] Thu, 13 April 2006 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I just figured all of the world music like ska and conjunto and tejano would be one heading. I don't see the mixed German/Spanish/Mestizo/ Aztec combination though. Where does that happen?

Re: One Favorite New Album From Each Genre'( That You Own) [message #6698 is a reply to message #6691] Fri, 14 April 2006 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount
Blues: Robert Lucas "Luke and the Locomotive"
Jazz: Randy Weston "African Sunrise"
Classical: JS Bach Cantatas & Arias Ian Bostridge
Latin: Compay Segundo "Cale Salud"
World: Suba "Sao Paolo Confessions"

Re: One Favorite New Album From Each Genre'( That You Own) [message #6699 is a reply to message #6698] Fri, 14 April 2006 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Excellante'! Big fan of Randy Weston, is that a new album?
Can you offer a little background on the Latino stuff?

Re: One Favorite New Album From Each Genre'( That You Own) [message #6700 is a reply to message #6699] Fri, 14 April 2006 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

Randy Weston isn't a new album but the last Jazz album I bought. (mid 90's)

Segundo was a lead vocalist from the famous Buena Vista Social Club. The songs are for the real Cuban music enthusiasts, and the sound is one of the best I've heard on CD. Nonesuch records 79578-2

Re: One Favorite New Album From Each Genre'( That You Own) [message #6701 is a reply to message #6700] Fri, 14 April 2006 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks; I have been looking to try the Randy Weston Mosaic three CD set.

On the Compay; are some of the rest of the BVSC playing?

I listen sometimes to Brazilian Samba; there is a very good album called "Mulato" done by Sergio Santos; a well known guitarist in Brazil. Very nice stuff; I play it at parties and without fail people ask me where I found the nice music.

Re: One Favorite New Album From Each Genre'( That You Own) [message #6702 is a reply to message #6701] Fri, 14 April 2006 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
It doesn't look that anyone else from BV is playing. But it is still good nevertheless. Especially the sound quality.

The "Mulato" sounds like something I should check it out.

I don't know, i just lost interest for Jazz. :>(

Previous Topic: Eva Cassidy
Next Topic: Burnlounge
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 03:52:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers