Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » subwoofers to augment my mains (4pis)
icon5.gif  subwoofers to augment my mains (4pis) [message #66732] Tue, 22 March 2011 11:27 Go to next message
rohitdev is currently offline  rohitdev
Esquire
Hello All,

My understanding is that I need at least 2 subs to augment my mains (4 pis). Is it necessary that they are identical subs? Can I build one sub and use my existing 10" subwoofer and tweak phase/output by ear?

Also my tube amp has no preouts at all. So would it be ok to send signals to both subs from the same speaker taps that power my 4pis?

Please advise.

Regards,
Rohit
Re: subwoofers to augment my mains (4pis) [message #66733 is a reply to message #66732] Tue, 22 March 2011 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can use different subs. I wouldn't try and tap into the speaker outputs though. Instead, tap the line level going into your amp, and run it through a preamp that has two outputs. use this first preamp as the volume control, since you'll want to be able to adjust volume for both the mains and the subs with a single control.

Re: subwoofers to augment my mains (4pis) [message #66734 is a reply to message #66733] Tue, 22 March 2011 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rohitdev is currently offline  rohitdev
Esquire
Thanks Wayne. What if both the subwoofers accept high level-ins? Will this case be ok? I mean high level out from my integrated to both subwoofers' high level ins?
Re: subwoofers to augment my mains (4pis) [message #66736 is a reply to message #66734] Tue, 22 March 2011 13:44 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suppose it will work. Hard to say what quality you'll get. I never cared much for tapping the speaker lines as an input to other devices. But if it's not too much trouble to try, it can't hurt to check it out. If it hums or doesn't sound good, you can always go a different route.

Previous Topic: Flush-Mounting Tips Please : )
Next Topic: Hey Wayne! 7 Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 07:28:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout