Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Flush-Mounting Tips Please : ) (Flush mounting Horn and Mid-Woofer)
Flush-Mounting Tips Please : ) [message #66680] Wed, 16 March 2011 10:06 Go to next message
Muzikal-JRNE is currently offline  Muzikal-JRNE
Esquire
I am open to any tips on how to flush mount the horn and woofer for my 3pi speaker build.

I am planning on adding a 5/8" layer of MDF to the outside face of the front baffle. This will allow me to cut out a hole for the outer diameter of the (TD12S) woofer, which will make it now flush mounted. The outer dimension of the TD12S is 12.5". What size hole diameter should I cut? 12-1/2" 12-9/16" 12-5/8"?

I am not sure yet on how I am going to cut the recess for the horn. I believe the H290 horn flange is 3/8" deep. I don't know if I should try to route a 3/8" recess, or to just cut out the entire 5/8" and use a few layers of speaker gasket tape to flush the horn back out. I have never tried to make straight interior cuts with a router, but I am up to give it a try. Radius-ed corners? Will I need to make some kind of Jig? Remove 1/4" depth per pass?

BTW...I have a plunge router (w/ "Large" Jasper Circle Jig ), jig saw and table saw.

Cheers, Joe
Re: Flush-Mounting Tips Please : ) [message #66682 is a reply to message #66680] Wed, 16 March 2011 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What we do is to route a groove that is about 1/16" deeper than needed to allow space for a gasket. It should also have about 1/16" gap around the outer edge, so make it 1/8" larger in diameter, i.e. 12-5/8".

You can use any number of things for gasket material, felt, cardboard, etc. I prefer to use PVC sheets. You can get it at any hardware store as shower pan material.

http://www.pispeakers.com/Basshorn/Cutting_Gasket.jpg

Re: Flush-Mounting Tips Please : ) [message #66683 is a reply to message #66680] Wed, 16 March 2011 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne. Do still recommend using an additional gasket for the TD12S? I believe it comes with an integrated rubber gasket?

Cheers, Joe
Re: Flush-Mounting Tips Please : ) [message #66685 is a reply to message #66683] Wed, 16 March 2011 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's right, it's a wrap-around gasket that also serves as a decorative piece. You don't need the PVC gasket with that woofer but you might need to cut a little larger. It's thicker than 1/16", closer to 1/8". So it not only needs to be that much deeper, but also the diameter of the routed cutout needs to be a little larger too because the rubber piece wraps around the edge.

Re: Flush-Mounting Tips Please : ) [message #66687 is a reply to message #66680] Wed, 16 March 2011 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't know the size of the rabbet required so this info may not be useful, but for about $45 you can buy a Freud or Whiteside rabbet bit set. These sets have different size bearings that make the cutter reveal anywhere from 1/4" to 5/8" rabbet, The bearing follows the cut-out you made with the Jasper, just like a flush trim bit, and you set any depth you want.

Eliminates the need for a jig.
Re: Flush-Mounting Tips Please : ) [message #66727 is a reply to message #66680] Mon, 21 March 2011 15:39 Go to previous message
Esquire
Wayne, what grit sandpaper would you recommend using to grind down the casting marks on the horn? Wet/Dry? I have a random orbital sander or I could do it by hand.

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to be able to start building in Mid-April.

Cheers, Joe
Previous Topic: My 4pi Build Report
Next Topic: subwoofers to augment my mains (4pis)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 14:34:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio