Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Dire Straits-On the Night
Dire Straits-On the Night [message #6649] Fri, 31 March 2006 18:06 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Ok, this is the last review for a while. All I can say is if you like Dire Straits this old DVD is a good one. They play long concert versions of most of their better stuff.

It looks like it's recorded in Europe somewhere. Sound quality is surprisingly good. Knopfler makes it look soooo easy to play well. It's refreshing to hear a group that can play pretty heavy duty R & R and still have it sound melodic and not strident.

I was just going to watch a couple of songs but sat back in the recliner and cranked it up. My wife said she could here it clear over at the barn. Which is only 350 yds away. It finally dawned on me why concert DVD's sound so good on my little HT setup. It's beacause the Altecs are similar to what you'll hear the music through at an actual concert. There is a lot of synergy going on there. I wish someone else could listen and see if I'm just wishful thinking or it actually sounds pretty good.

This is another video where they play the music without a lot of uneccesary antics. If you ever watch it you'll notice it's pouring rain through most of the concert but the audience is so into it they don't even notice.

Re: Dire Straits-On the Night [message #6651 is a reply to message #6649] Fri, 31 March 2006 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
NO; don't stop now. We like these reviews. Why doubt your ability to tell if something sounds good? Half the people crowing about how much they know about audio have terrible sounding systems, but hey; they sure measure good; real good.
Those old guys from Altec used some pretty sophisticated design tools; it was called the E.A.R. ultra-fidelity measuring system.
It's funny how a lot of guys have a little "Vintage" system that they apologise for becuase it was designed through trial and error and.. listening. Just something to have fun with; not real serious audio stuff. Then they go home and listen to it more than their computor optimised; designed and measured ultra-fidelity stuff.
Why is that?

Re: Dire Straits-On the Night [message #6652 is a reply to message #6651] Fri, 31 March 2006 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
In the couple of years I've been fooling around on audio forums I have decided that people generally fall into a couple or three camps.

Group A for anal I'll call them since it's my keyboard They have hyphenated names and wear audiophile shorts so when they crepitate the material doesn't colour the sound. They say it's all about the music yet they spend most of their time tweaking, trading, buying and searching for that elusive "perfect" sound. It'll never be found as it doesn't exist. Even in recording studios.

Group B, now these guys have almost all of the obscure recordings ever made. Just check some of the "what's spinning" threads at AA & AK. It's a sign of status to list several albums that people have never even heard of but all agree they must be great artists because they didn't sell out and go big time They do listen to more music than group A though. Hey I have a Beatles lp recorded in Germany with Tony Sheridan singing. Neat huh? Well actually, it doesn't sound anything like them and nobody remembers Tony Sheridan either. It also sounds like shit but hey it's obscure

Then we have group C, These guys have anything from a Yorx boombox to the ultimate high end gear. The gear doesn't mean as much to them as listening to music does. These folk listen to all types of music. Nary a music snob among them. While they might not prefer your favorite genre they wont put it down either.

I lied, there is a forth group D. Here I reside. We are normal well adjusted music fans who own equipment we like and would only change if we won the lottery or something unlikely to happen. We have no formal audio training. We just know what we like and actually don't need anybodies approval. We just don't want to give the impression we know about things audio that we're clueless about. We give to charity, treat our pets right, bathe semi-regularly and are all around good folk. Now, if you've struggled through this BS and have been offended in any way get a life and be quick about it. I don't take this stuff called life Cirrus and neither should you. After all you ain't getting out of it alive dude

Re: Dire Straits-On the Night [message #6653 is a reply to message #6652] Fri, 31 March 2006 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wait a minute; I plan on getting out; alive or not.
The music is all that matters; everything else is pi***ng in the wind. And the best music seems to come out of older gear. I wish it wasn't so but alas it is. Nothing that sounds good ever came out of computor modeling.
But some obscure music is pretty good; I like hearing peoples oddball favs.

Re: Dire Straits-On the Night [message #6654 is a reply to message #6653] Fri, 31 March 2006 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
To me there is a difference between selecting music from someone who is unknown and picking the most obscure artist to have bragging rights.

Now if you want different I'm your man Check out Steeleye Span which has the best female vocalist I've ever heard in Maddy Prior. Then there's Robin Trower who sounds like he did way back when. He's very good if you like his style. Bonnie Raiit plays a mean slide guitar and always has excellent support on her albums.

So now share some of what you like if you would. Doesn't have to be unknown

Re: Dire Straits-On the Night [message #6655 is a reply to message #6654] Sat, 01 April 2006 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I share my music all the time on here. At least once a week I try to put some kind of musical post up. Before you guys showed up there was pretty much nothing about music on ART. We had a couple really good reveiwers for a while but the response was so weak they kinda faded out. I think you are right about many things.
People who love music don't seem to have as many issues with sound as those who really don't care about music all that much. And those people who do love music tend to have systems like yours and mine that sound good but maybe don't measure so great. The measurement guys never seem to have much to say about the actuall music involved. Thats why I stopped trusting their view. I mean if you listen to music you know what it is supposed to sound like. If you need a device to tell you if something sounds good; you're lost.

Maddy Prior; one of the best of the english songbirds. June Tabor/Sandy Denny and Jaqui Macphee from Steeleye Span also. I know this because I used to listen to that whole crew and still do.
Pentangle is one of my fav english folk rock bands. Those girls can sing and they never sound shrill or strained.
" All Around My Hat."
What do you think of the english guitar guys; John Fahey/John Martyn; all the guys who played guitar in those bands.

English guitarists [message #6656 is a reply to message #6655] Sat, 01 April 2006 09:41 Go to previous message
Grand Master
I think they have been forgotten due to all the fuss over Clapton and a few others. Don't get me wrong Eric Clapton is a excellent player but I think there are others who are often overlooked.

I tend to shy away from the mainstream guitarists like Hendrix, Clapton, SRV and a few others. Partly because of they over selling of their abilities and partly because I get tired of hearing the same few players.

I really enjoy Knopfler, Gilmour, Robin Trower, Alvin Lee and several others. I remember when the big controversy around here was who is better, Fahey or Kottke? My musical horizon is pretty limited as I wasn't exposed to hardly any new music from about 1974-2004 when I got back into music.

I grew up with music as my stepdad was a drummer and I listened to Dixieland, Coubtry, Pop music from about the 40's onward. Also big band music, and whatever was currently on radio.

I like classical music as long as it moves fairly quick. The slow stuff puts me to sleep. I played the French Horn for a short while so I really like classical written for the horns. I enjoy rock as long as it has some melody/harmony in it. The white noise stuff doesn't make it. I tried to listen to some of my Mantavoni LPs but couldn't hack it anymore. Same for the Gunther Kallman Chorus. I'm sure the cycle will change and I'll go back to it someday

One thing I really like about this forum is the lack of bickering. I'm sure a lot of folks don't agree with things posted but they seldom get wrapped around the axle on something.

Time to go work at our little museum have a good one MB and others.

Previous Topic: David Gilmour- On an Island
Next Topic: Carnivale
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 04:28:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout