Home » Audio » Movies & Music » David Gilmour DVD
David Gilmour DVD [message #6641] Wed, 29 March 2006 23:35 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
In a word smooth. He starts out doing three or four acoustical songs and in the middle of a song he turns on the amp and cuts loose. The acoustical version of Shine on you crazy diamond is really well done and later on the electric version is really top notch.

He does a couple of tribute songs that Syd Barrett wrote before his decline. If you're looking for a full blown Pink Floyd production you wont care for this DVD. It's a live show and he has a band complete with string bass, cello, oboe and saxophone. The blend I liked but rock fans wont care for it I'm sure.

Comfortably numb is very well done and there are some extra songs from another concert. One of which is Don't which was recorded by Elvis in 57. He does a decent job on it and I liked it.

I played it in 2 channel and 5.1 and the 5.1 definetly sounds better. Since I have the two source switch I now use the Altecs for the front speakers and the KLH 17's for the surrounds and a Wharfdale D-40 for a center channel until something better shows up

Bottom line is it's a good DVD if you David Gilmour and you like folks that play and sing without jumping around and biting the heads off chickens.

Re: David Gilmour DVD [message #6643 is a reply to message #6641] Thu, 30 March 2006 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say MWG; does the string section get too syrupy? So the whole album is live?

Re: David Gilmour DVD [message #6644 is a reply to message #6643] Thu, 30 March 2006 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Yes it's a live concert. The strings are only noticable in parts and seem to add to rather than detract from the music. I think the strings are used in place of some of the electronic effects you find on a PF studio album.

If you expect David to be a ball of fire and beat the guitar to death you'll be disappointed That has never been his style. He plays like Knopfler, Clapton and Trower in that they all play slower than most of the machine gun rock guitarists that are so popular.

Re: David Gilmour DVD [message #6645 is a reply to message #6644] Thu, 30 March 2006 11:08 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No; I like Gilmour and his style; I just wanted to make sure he didn't muck up the music with add-on strings and such. Thanks for the review I thnk I'll pick that album up.

Previous Topic: waiting
Next Topic: Pink Floyd Live at Pompei
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 02:16:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout