Home » Audio » General » Avoid being ripped off. (cracked.com article)
Avoid being ripped off. [message #66136] Wed, 16 February 2011 02:08 Go to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
http://www.cracked.com/article_19022_5-ways-hi-tech-retailers-are-secretly-screwing-you.html

I thought I would pass this along, since the demographic of this site probably doesn't frequent that site too often. Very Happy

Some good advice in there, especially with HDMI cables or any digital cable for that matter, like USB.

Re: Avoid being ripped off. [message #66300 is a reply to message #66136] Thu, 24 February 2011 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
Thanks for posting that link for us. You are correct, I normally do not go on those types of sites very often! I definitely should though to find warnings such as this one.
Re: Avoid being ripped off. [message #66305 is a reply to message #66136] Thu, 24 February 2011 22:22 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Re: Cables.

I'm surprised they didn't mention that there is currently a million-dollar prize if anyone can demonstrate that electrically that any interconnect or cable is superior to a the same gauge of monster cable, on the analogue side of course.

The only difference in digital is that Fiber Optic cables have a percentage of loss depending on how much time the person building it spent polishing the end of it. I still have my cable I built that had a near-unheard of 0% loss on one end and only a 2% loss on the other end. Those cables have redundancy built into them at low data applications so that they work even if not perfect. That is the only thing in digital that works like that too as far as I know.

Even silver is only slightly better and that is only relevant when dealing with lengths that effectively do not exist outside of cross continental transmission lines.

I'm glad someone else enjoyed this also.

Previous Topic: Aiwa Microsystem...
Next Topic: Bose wave radio/CD from the infomercial?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 18:23:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio