Home » Audio » General » Capacitors Do Matter
Capacitors Do Matter [message #65820] Mon, 24 January 2011 07:51 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I believe that capacitors do make a significant audible difference in tweeter high pass filters. This is based on my experience with many speakers ranging from a pair of 3Pi's to a pair of Magnepan 1.6QR's.

In the case of the Maggies I participated in an experiment where we placed two pairs of 1.6's side by side and did an AB comparison for the experienced ears of Houston Audio Society members. One pair had the stock Solen caps; the other had a "cascade" of Northcreek Music Harmony, Zen and Cresendo caps in the tweeter crossover. The unanimous conclusion of the group was that the sound of the modded pair was so much better they didn't even sound like the same speakers. Of course this wasn't a double blind test, so some will immediately dismiss the perceived outcome.

Now along comes this paper presented at the 2008 convention of the Audio Engineering Society whose measurements confirm a significantly higher level of non-linear distortion in speaker crosssover capacitors. If you're not into mathematics go straight to section 7 - Conclusions.

http://www.mennovanderveen.nl/nl/download/download_4.pdf

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Affordable Isolation Device
Next Topic: MP3 Player and Computer Software
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 08:29:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio