Home » Audio » Pro Sound » What is the best recorder for recording a solo musical performance?
What is the best recorder for recording a solo musical performance? [message #65337] Sat, 18 December 2010 03:44 Go to next message
woodfree is currently offline  woodfree
Baron
What is the best recorder for recording your musical performance? I was thinking of recording myself and see how good I sound when I'm singing. Smile I've always wondered about that and I was thinking of buying one sometime. Any suggestions? I sing mostly alternative-rock and ballads. Smile
Re: What is the best recorder for recording a solo musical performance? [message #65345 is a reply to message #65337] Sat, 18 December 2010 19:04 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Your computer, if it can record in 24bits. 16 bits is probably good enough though since I take it you are not working with a high-range condenser mic.

I was using a microphone, a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and audacity to record myself. I had about 3 bucks in the adapter.

I have yet to find a freeware solution to hearing yourself in real time through a computer. There was always a 1/5th of a second delay. I don't imagine commercial software has fixed the problem. We used to have an iMac that would, at times, monitor in real time, but it was not consistent enough to be considered a solution either.

USB devices may be better at it than going through the soundcard. I haven't ever used a USB mic or DI for that purpose, so maybe they are better.

Previous Topic: Beginner Guitarist
Next Topic: What Are The Best Resources for Improving Your Guitar Skills?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 16:56:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio