Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Attaching Crossover Components
icon12.gif  Attaching Crossover Components [message #65065] Wed, 01 December 2010 10:59 Go to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
How do you attach components to boards? I used to be incredibly anal about it, drilling through boards hard wiring and trying way too hard to make them look good. I realize that proper component placement is important. But, in a desire to be practical and build a few gifts for friends, I need to use more basic methods. I plan to glue parts to boards, and wire them together. So, I guess the question is hot melt, silicon, or gorilla glue? Something else?

I know my next PI project will feature Wayne's assembled crossovers.

Steve
Re: Attaching Crossover Components [message #65074 is a reply to message #65065] Wed, 01 December 2010 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I tack the coils down with a large daub of silicon adhesive. They actually aren't in contact with the board but rather suspended in a cushion of silicon which prevents vibration. I solder the resistors so they stand about 1/8" above the printed circuit board, held up by their leads. I do the same thing with smaller capacitors, larger ones I sometimes tack down with silicon, like the coils.

Re: Attaching Crossover Components [message #65188 is a reply to message #65065] Mon, 06 December 2010 23:40 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I put mine on a small piece of thinner baltic ply. I screw 3 tag strips on an edge, the middle for input, and the two outside ones for output to the drivers. I also connect the compensation parts for the cd to it's output tag strip in a trick way. I use tie straps with the screw anchor for big parts, and use blue tack for all the parts on the board. I screw all this onto an inside surface, with neoprene washers and more blue tack.
Previous Topic: Pi4 plans
Next Topic: A question of wood thickness
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 15 17:21:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout