Home » Audio » Movies & Music » For MB
For MB [message #6493] Tue, 28 February 2006 19:02 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Since you like Jazz I would recommend a couple of Van Morrisons cds. I don't know how you would classify them. The latest one Magic Time is mostly old standards and it's not rock & not jazz. Astral Weeks is more like folk but it's not folk I'm too ignorant to classify it correctly. It's just mellow music that moves me for sure. You can have it for background or let yourself be drawn into it. Any of Mark Knopflers solo cds are good. Most are great but none are bad. On Sailing to Philadelphia he does a duet with James Taylor and one with Van Morrison. His guitar work is clean, articulate and captivating. If you want to know a little about the Mason-Dixon Line it's there in one song. Ok, end of review I've run out of superlatives

Re: For MB [message #6494 is a reply to message #6493] Tue, 28 February 2006 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have always been a fan of Van the Man. I mainly listen to " Hymns To The Silence", lately. It is a two record set that has a strong gospel feel but my favorite song is the spoken word poem; "On Hyndford Street", I don't know if you are familiar with it. It has such a melancholy wistfull reminiscence of youth that really resonates with me. He talks about the languid drift of those fuzzy humid summer nights and hearing the distant sounds of jazz wafting out of the clubs as he walked by the river with his family to get ice cream on saturday nights. It is an impression of time passing so strong it puts you in a trance.
" Why Must I always Explain?" Pretty much the story of our lives.
" Be Thou My Vision", an ecclesiastical tour de force that stays true to the meaning and purpose of gospel music without sentimentality.
Lot of good songs on that album.

Re: For MB [message #6495 is a reply to message #6494] Tue, 28 February 2006 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
A lot of his work has a gospel flavor. I like the way he puts things into perspective. Here is a song to listen to and tell me what you think of it if you would. I'd give it at least two listens.
If you would go here and listen to The Way to Mandalay. The rythum is what grabs me and the mixture of electronic music with acoustical music.

Re: For MB [message #6496 is a reply to message #6495] Tue, 28 February 2006 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sorry MWG; I click on the song but as soon as it starts to play I get an error message and the whole program closes and I have to log on all over. I tried twice and also one other song. Maybe because I have Firefox installed.
I am familiar with Richie Blackmore and this band he has with his girlfriend. They are talented but I am not educated about their music. What do you think about it?
I always liked Black Sabbath; that was his old band right?

Re: For MB [message #6499 is a reply to message #6496] Tue, 28 February 2006 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I also have Firefox so I wonder why it wont work? He was with Deep Purple a couple of times. They play Renaissance music. Another group that plays old music is Steeleye Span. They play old Celtic folk songs that are modernized so to speak. You've probably heard of them. If not they are pretty good. Maddy Prior had the best female voice I've ever heard. She's older now and doesn't have the range she once had but her voice is still crystal clear.

Re: For MB [message #6501 is a reply to message #6499] Wed, 01 March 2006 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have had a few problems lately with this banana Firefox; I need to troubleshoot.
Thats right I remmember, he was with Deep Purple; he was on the LIve At Tokyo album right?
I listen to steeleye Span; Pentangle; Fairport Convention. In the archives is a thread we did a while back on the three ladies of english folk-rock. Maddy; June Tabor and Linda Thompson.
I have this box set of Sandy Denny that chronicles a lot of her work with Fotheringay and Fairport Convention. While her voice could get brittle at times she had a nice turn of phrase and wrote some nice songs.
Maddy Prior is just amazing how she interprets those old Celtic folk songs. Every once in a while I get the urge and play a few old albums through.
Which records do you favor?

Re: For MB [message #6502 is a reply to message #6501] Wed, 01 March 2006 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
He was with DP several times when they played Japan and they released a album of several of their tours. I missed Pentangle & Fairport Convention as my tastes in music were very narrow during those years. I just didn't get outside my comfort zone much in those days. Looking at my music collection and what I listen to defies catagorizing Eclectic has a nice sophisticated ring to it Lately I've been listening to a lot of I guess you callit smooth Jazz? Bob James, Herbie Mann, Stanley Turentine and even a touch of Kenny G.
If you are asking what Steeleye Span lps I listen to they are All Around my Hat and The Steeleye Span Story. I have to go to work so I'll stop now. Probably a good thing Take care.

Re: For MB [message #6533 is a reply to message #6502] Mon, 13 March 2006 04:27 Go to previous message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
If one is inclined for soft jazzy things, Sade Adu is nice. It's not 'easy listening', but laid back music. Contrary to the Tom Waits I'm listening to right now! "Real Gone"...

Previous Topic: Kate
Next Topic: Roger Waters performs "Dark Side of the Moon" at Roskilde Festival
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 05:51:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout