Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Cure for brightness
Re: Cure for brightness [message #64880 is a reply to message #64879] Wed, 24 November 2010 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some oil-filled motor runs are pretty good, reasonably priced and tend to warm up the sound. I'd be interested to hear what you think of them. Be sure to get an oil-filled can, because there are other kinds of motor run caps these days, most of them using some kind of plastic dielectric. Some of them are pretty cheap and nasty. So when searching for oil-filled motor-run caps, don't just look for "motor run", also look for "oil" or "dielectric fluid".

I don't think you'll hear a difference with a Mundorf M-Series because it is basically the same as the stock cap. But the price isn't too bad either, about the same as the Solen that came with the kit. The Supreme and some of their other series are more expensive, and I'm not sure it makes sense to use in this speaker. Guess you could if you wanted to.

The Obbligato might sound different to you, but my guess is it will sound the same, or at least too close to call. It's like the Auricaps in price and, I suspect, in sonic character.

I've used Audio Note capacitors, Mundorf Supremes, Jantzen Superior caps and Auricaps and find each of them to be nice, but then again at those prices, you would expect them to be. I tend to reserve these higher-priced caps for the speakers with premium driver options. The JBL and AE drivers are pretty expensive, and justify using capacitors in the $20 to $200 range, at least in my mind. The speaker drivers cost several hundred bucks, so a hundred or two hundred dollars spent in the crossover parts is probably well-deserved. But to be honest, I can't see spending more on the passive components than the drivers cost.

That said, none of the capacitors you've mentioned cost more than the drivers, and I wouldn't wince at their price tags. I think that Obbligato is the most expensive of the three you've mentioned, at about $25.00. The Mundorf MKP is about the same as the Solen, about $7.50. Motor runs can be bought for just about any price, from less than ten bucks to who knows what. But none of these is really outrageously priced. Might be worthwhile to try them all, especially if you already have them on hand.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message