Home » Audio » Home Theater » HD TV - Plasma or LCD?
HD TV - Plasma or LCD? [message #64746] Wed, 17 November 2010 20:53 Go to next message
GoodVibrations is currently offline  GoodVibrations
Viscount
We've had our TV for about 15 years now and we are thinking of going flat screen (Yes! Finally an HD TV!) I've seen a lot of comparisons between the plasma and LCD TV. I am leaning towards plasma because of color and contrast sharpness, but I hear that LCD is changing in this regard as well. For those of you with HD, what type flat panel did you choose and why?

Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind
Re: HD TV - Plasma or LCD? [message #64747 is a reply to message #64746] Wed, 17 November 2010 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I chose plasma because I think it is still a better technology for very large screens. But the LCD displays are getting better all the time. A few years back, I would have only bought a very small LCD screen, like for a desktop monitor. Now I think the larger wall mounted LCD screens look pretty good too.

Still, the best advice I can give you is this: Go look at the screens for yourself. Don't just study the specs and shop online. Look at a few screens to get a feel for what's out there. And don't simply expect that a certain brand will be the best. You might be surprised. All the co-mingling and outsourcing manufacturers are doing these days makes it hard to know who's making the good stuff and who's making the not-so-good stuff. They're all sharing parts and sometimes even major subassemblies these days.

Re: HD TV - Plasma or LCD? [message #64862 is a reply to message #64746] Tue, 23 November 2010 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
XGamer is currently offline  XGamer
Chancellor
LCD's are getting better and have a reputation for lasting longer. If you plan to do any gaming on a plasma, it can cause discoloration over time. I tend to think cartoons do this as well, because a certain family I know with a plasma TV and a 4-year old are disappointed to find discolorations on their flatscreen now, just a couple years after getting it.
Re: HD TV - Plasma or LCD? [message #64910 is a reply to message #64746] Fri, 26 November 2010 09:17 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We recently bought an LED LCD TV and I'm mostly happy with it. I agree you need to go look in person. The LED version seems sharper and brighter. I do see visual artifacts sometimes, though.
Previous Topic: Best TV Speakers
Next Topic: Cassette players?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 16:24:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout