Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi4 New Owner
Pi4 New Owner [message #64615] Mon, 08 November 2010 13:43 Go to next message
Doc Jr 8156 is currently offline  Doc Jr 8156
Chancellor
Hello,
I am a new owner of a Pi 4 speaker (with JBL 2226 and B&C DE250) and I want to thank Wayne for coming up with this design. I am enjoying the speakers immensely. My other speakers are Linkwitz Orions, BIB with Fostex 168EZ, TQW with Fostex 200A, BLH with Fostex 168, BK 16, and Bozaks. The Pi 4 has its own unique sound that I like. I have a problem however.

The original owner of the Pi "sealed" the B&C horn with silicone. The horn was also recessed on the baffle. I wonder how can I remove the horns without damaging the speaker's cabinet? Wayne, can you send me the cabinet plan/or documentation regarding Pi4s

John Revilla
Re: Pi4 New Owner [message #64616 is a reply to message #64615] Mon, 08 November 2010 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Silicon breaks down very fast with certain solvents. Brake cleaner, for example, will turn silicon to runny goo in seconds. Whether or not you can get the solvent to the silicon without getting it on the finish is a different matter.

I might be inclined to dribble a tiny bit of it on the horn from the inside of the cabinet, on the back of the horn, so that it contacted the silicon without getting close to the finish. If you can do that, the horn will probably break free pretty easily. But do heed my warning about getting any on the finish. Some stuff is more resilient than others, like polyurethane verses lacquer or shellac. But pretty much nothing lives long when in contact with brake cleaner.

Re: Pi4 New Owner [message #64618 is a reply to message #64615] Mon, 08 November 2010 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. My problem is that the only way o access the cabinet is through the drivers. There is no opening at the back of the cabinet, except for the recess containing the binding post. Yes, I thought of solvents but it will make contact with the finish or be absorved by the ply.

My other drastic solution would be to get another set of horns (H290?)and just drill holes on the installed one so I will have something to pull upon when removing the horn. Thanks again, Wayne.

Can youe-mail me the cabinet plan?

John Revilla
Re: Pi4 New Owner [message #64620 is a reply to message #64618] Mon, 08 November 2010 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think your saying the H290 is sealed to the cabinet?

Silicone caulk never completely dries so it should be possible to slip a razor knife into it at the junction and cut a slit all the way around, then pry at it with gradually increasing pressure until the silicone releases.

Cutting the slit first ensures that some silicone remains on the wood and doesn't pull away from and damage it.
Re: Pi4 New Owner [message #64625 is a reply to message #64615] Mon, 08 November 2010 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Hello Bill,
Yes, the H290 was sealed to the cabinet but rabbeted. There is no seam between the lip of the H290 and the cabinet and the H290 is mounted flush to the cabinet face. No way I can pass something through under the H290 lip.

Wayne, thanks for the plan. How do I get the logo?

Thanks again.

John Revilla
Re: Pi4 New Owner [message #64626 is a reply to message #64625] Mon, 08 November 2010 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think Bill's advice is good. It prevents any chance of getting solvent on the finish. But if you just can't get the blade between the horn and the cabinet, that's maybe not an option. I have some cabinets that are routed flush, and the fit is that tight. No way to get anything in there. I use gaskets though, not silicon. Smile
I am confused about one thing. You said there is no way to access the rear of the horn. How is the woofer mounted? Usually the woofer and tweeter are front mounted, even if routed flush. You can remove the woofer and access the rear of the horn that way.

As for the logo, it's included with kits. If you email me your address, I can send a couple out for you.

Re: Pi4 New Owner [message #64628 is a reply to message #64615] Tue, 09 November 2010 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks a lot Wayne. I meant, there is no opening on the cabinet backside. I guess I have to figure out how to remove the woofer first. I hope the woofer is not sealed with silicone too. I also use gasket on my speakers and I wonder why the original owner used silicone on this one.

John Revilla
Re: Pi4 New Owner [message #64630 is a reply to message #64628] Tue, 09 November 2010 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 2226 midwoofer has eight mounting holes. There is foam on the front, sort of like a gasket but mostly for looks. It may hide the mounting screws, but they're there. Look for eight equally spaced holes. Chances are the woofer is mounted with Phillips or hex head screws.

Re: Pi4 New Owner [message #64635 is a reply to message #64615] Wed, 10 November 2010 10:01 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Hello Wayne,
Yes, I know of the jbl mounting screws. Unfortunately, I think the midwoofs were sealed with silicone too. Maybe, the only way is to get a pair of H290 and just cut the ones installed right now. I want to upgrade the crossover and bi-amp this speakers. Godspeed.

John Revilla
Previous Topic: Pi2 and woofer directivity
Next Topic: 2Pi questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 02:25:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers