Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Say Leland; I got one, J.J.Cale does Hendrix
Say Leland; I got one, J.J.Cale does Hendrix [message #6452] Tue, 21 February 2006 12:01 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I saw him live and he did Red House and Little Wing. With that nice half-step slow tempo.
So whatever happened to Jeff Beck anyway?

Re: Say Leland; I got one, J.J.Cale does Hendrix [message #6453 is a reply to message #6452] Tue, 21 February 2006 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
I bet that had a groove. JJ always had a tasty smooth feel to his music. SRV's little wing is my favorite version.

After our last conversation I went looking. www.jeffbeck.com. Been busy winning grammys for instrumentals the last 3 or 4 years. Only 2 yrs between albums, which is prodigious output for him. I don't have the newest one yet. He does some studio work. I can't remember the artist, but he told the story that Beck walked in, jacked his strat directly into the mixer, said "Give me some headphones", layed down a smoking track, walked out with a check. That was all that was said.

He also won some award for the remastered version of "Truth". It's not on Truth but "People Get Ready" gives me chills. I learned the solo note for note, after bleeding at the nose.

And how 'bout Steve Howe? [message #6454 is a reply to message #6452] Tue, 21 February 2006 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Always loved Steve Howe, the guitarist from Yes. Does amazing things with the slide guitar, using it to make a dreamy surrealistic sound. He's great on all other forms of guitar too.

Re: And how 'bout Steve Howe? [message #6455 is a reply to message #6454] Tue, 21 February 2006 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
He's one of those guys that piss me off. He plays a semi classical style, with no formal training. That makes him incredibly hard to figure out. There's no telling where it's coming from. I was never a big Yes fan, but always appreciated his artistry, and the shape of the sound he created for the band.

Re: And how 'bout Steve Howe? [message #6456 is a reply to message #6455] Tue, 21 February 2006 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I like Yes when I hear them on the radio but I won't put on a record If I am listening for pleasure. Steve Howe tried too hard IMHO. I like the guy from Gentle Giant though; whats his name?

Re: Say Leland; I got one, J.J.Cale does Hendrix [message #6457 is a reply to message #6453] Tue, 21 February 2006 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Mark of a great artist. Take a great song and make it your own.
Quick anecdote; at the same J.J. Cale concert there was a young blond girl playing slide along with JJ. She was real good on the neck but thats not all; Tall/blond/painted on jeans/and a black tailered shirt with a beautifull face and perfect bod. Never saw or heard of her again and can't remmember her name.
She did a blistering slide solo on They Call Me The Breeze.

Re: And how 'bout Steve Howe? [message #6458 is a reply to message #6455] Tue, 21 February 2006 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No kidding, I agree. I took piano lessons for 7 years when I was young, got pretty good at playing classical, reading music, etc. I found that I could easily play some of Steve Howe's music on the piano, which I thought was interesting. Except for chords and chord progressions, stuff written for guitar is usually relatively difficult to play on the piano and vice versa. It's just laid out differently. As I read about Steve Howe and learned that he was self-taught, I guessed that probably his style was very different than most other guitarists. Maybe that's what gives him such an interesting sound to me.

Gentle Giant [message #6459 is a reply to message #6456] Tue, 21 February 2006 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The lead guitarist for Gentle Giant was Gary Green. He was also self-taught. Or you might be thinking about Kerry Minnear, who was (with the Shulman brothers) really responsible for the Gentle Giant sound.

Re: Gentle Giant [message #6460 is a reply to message #6459] Tue, 21 February 2006 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
That's a name I haven't heard in years. Little trip down memory lane anyone?

Reimagine [message #6461 is a reply to message #6457] Tue, 21 February 2006 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Kind of off topic, but related. Take a great song and make it your own.

I just read Wicked, the back story of the Wicked witch in The Wizard of OZ. Amazing. One of my most fun reads in a long time. Not the OZ you think you know, but it all fits. It was like a jazz riff on the original. It's currently running as a broadway play.

Previous Topic: Good rock & roll from early 90's Manchester England
Next Topic: Join Netflix
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 14:16:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout