Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » More Fun with Capacitors
More Fun with Capacitors [message #64558] Mon, 01 November 2010 19:41 Go to previous message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
I've been really enjoying my year old Pi 4s with JBL and B&C drivers. They are a distinct step up from my old Theater 4s, ( although I do sometimes miss the softer romanticism of the larger eminence driven Theater 4 Pis). Keeping with my nearly constant desire to experiment with my DIY gear I recently replaced the polypropylene capacitors in the hi-pass section of the 4 Pis' crossover with a combination of NOS Russian military caps purchased on E-bay. The .47uF by-pass is now FT-3 teflons and the 6.8uF series is a combination of paper in oil KBG (6uF) and FT-3 teflons. The results are worth posting since the improvement in clarity and refinement is significant. The improvement is as great as that going from the Eminence drivers to the JBL and B&C gear. The caps cost about $50, much of which is shipping from Lithuania. The usual descriptions of quality apply, ie. individual violins instead of a mass, individual voices in a chorale, etc. And the soundstage is holographic and easy to listen to. For some reason, even the bass seems more coherent. The speakers, dare I say, dissappear! In my small listening room that is really saying something! Live performances are to die for- so much hall ambience and live sound "pressure" if you know what I mean.

If you want to goose your Pis up a notch for not much mula try these russian caps readily available on the 'Bay.

Thanks as always to Wayne for making these great speaker designs available both as a commercial product but also as a most generous offering to the DIY community!

Regards,
Garland

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Where/what is the information about the drivers, etc for the 2Pi models?
Next Topic: 1Pi and 2Pi Plans Request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 11:46:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout