Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » More Fun with Capacitors
More Fun with Capacitors [message #64558] Mon, 01 November 2010 19:41 Go to next message
GarlandB is currently offline  GarlandB
Chancellor
I've been really enjoying my year old Pi 4s with JBL and B&C drivers. They are a distinct step up from my old Theater 4s, ( although I do sometimes miss the softer romanticism of the larger eminence driven Theater 4 Pis). Keeping with my nearly constant desire to experiment with my DIY gear I recently replaced the polypropylene capacitors in the hi-pass section of the 4 Pis' crossover with a combination of NOS Russian military caps purchased on E-bay. The .47uF by-pass is now FT-3 teflons and the 6.8uF series is a combination of paper in oil KBG (6uF) and FT-3 teflons. The results are worth posting since the improvement in clarity and refinement is significant. The improvement is as great as that going from the Eminence drivers to the JBL and B&C gear. The caps cost about $50, much of which is shipping from Lithuania. The usual descriptions of quality apply, ie. individual violins instead of a mass, individual voices in a chorale, etc. And the soundstage is holographic and easy to listen to. For some reason, even the bass seems more coherent. The speakers, dare I say, dissappear! In my small listening room that is really saying something! Live performances are to die for- so much hall ambience and live sound "pressure" if you know what I mean.

If you want to goose your Pis up a notch for not much mula try these russian caps readily available on the 'Bay.

Thanks as always to Wayne for making these great speaker designs available both as a commercial product but also as a most generous offering to the DIY community!

Regards,
Garland
Re: More Fun with Capacitors [message #64559 is a reply to message #64558] Mon, 01 November 2010 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for posting that tip, Garland. I may have to give the oil caps another try. I've used paper-in-oil caps (ultra expensive) and motor runs (much more reasonable). The paper-in-oil caps sounded the same as the polys to my ears but the motor runs had a unique sound.

One thing about DIY, it allows experimentation. You get to make 'em your own, put your mark on them. That's part of the fun!

Re: More Fun with Capacitors [message #64560 is a reply to message #64558] Tue, 02 November 2010 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Since I got a Mt. Bike, and now, shudder, a TV, I don't do tweaking anymore. However, having some Russian Teflons and PIOs in my Aikido pre-amp, I know what Mr. Garland is talking about.

My 4Pi crossovers have Obbligato poly as well as oil and Aerovox motor runs for the big cap. I tried other motor runs like GEs and some no-names but Aerovox (they have to be oval and are getting rare) have a unique quality of added detail without being strident.

I haven't been inside the 4Pis since I fixed a loose connection last spring but when the weather gets too bad for riding I may try some of those Rooskie caps; I have some waiting in a box somewhere.

Good to hear from you, Garland. Hi, Wayne. Bye, Steve.
Re: More Fun with Capacitors [message #64562 is a reply to message #64560] Tue, 02 November 2010 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I heard through the grapevine that Steve Brown accepted a position in Portland. I am happy for him but sad for all of us in Tulsa.

What's even more of a bummer is we really never got a chance to get things together while he was here. After little Eddie was born, I have had very little free time. Seems like the rest of Tulsa has been kind of sleepy too, because we haven't had many audio get-togethers at all. So we just didn't get the chance I would have liked.

Re: More Fun with Capacitors [message #64565 is a reply to message #64558] Tue, 02 November 2010 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Eddie is, what, 4? How about a pic?

Here's Jessica a few weeks ago; she's training for a visit to Tulsa

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/wsepstein/Jessica/Equitation/IMG_1591.jpg
Re: More Fun with Our Kids [message #64566 is a reply to message #64565] Tue, 02 November 2010 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Jessica is adorable, Bill! I know you're super proud.

--- Sorry to digress from your capacitor thread, Garland. Bill and I are having a Proud Papa moment ---

Here's little Eddie, last Christmas:

index.php?t=getfile&id=263&private=0

And here is is with me, a month ago at the State fair:

index.php?t=getfile&id=264&private=0

In a fit of sentimentalism, I talked my older son Michael into getting into one of Eddie's little kiddie seats:

index.php?t=getfile&id=265&private=0

He was a good sport, but I don't think that seat was really working for him. They're 20 years apart. Eddie is 4, Michael is 24.

People that bought kits between around 2000 and 2006 or so may have gotten crossovers assembled by Michael. He did a great job at it, but has since moved on to a real job. Smile

Trying to get lil' Eddie trained on the soldering iron... Laughing

• Attachment: Eddie.jpg
    (Size: 33.35KB, Downloaded 2247 times)
  • Attachment: Eddie_and_Me.jpg
    (Size: 60.44KB, Downloaded 2328 times)
  • Attachment: Michael.jpg
    (Size: 39.92KB, Downloaded 2334 times)
Re: More Fun with Our Kids [message #64567 is a reply to message #64558] Tue, 02 November 2010 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wonderful! He looks like he was born to those sunglasses and will look as good as his dad at the wheel of the 4-4-2!
Re: More Fun with Capacitors [message #64756 is a reply to message #64558] Thu, 18 November 2010 20:38 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just in case someone missed my reference to the 4-4-2...that's Wayne, not Eddie

index.php?t=getfile&id=282&private=0
Previous Topic: Where/what is the information about the drivers, etc for the 2Pi models?
Next Topic: 1Pi and 2Pi Plans Request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 22:26:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout