Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi plans
4pi plans [message #64544] Fri, 29 October 2010 06:11 Go to next message
ckdf999 is currently offline  ckdf999
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

would you mind sending me plans for the 4pi please?

I would like to build a set of these based on some Altec drivers that I have (bass would be either 416-8c or 515-16G) and the horns would be driven by 902-16B´s.

Actually I tend towards using the 515 woofers as so far my experience is that while they don´t go as low as the 416´s they produce a wonderfully clean and structured bass.

I tried a Model 19 like setup with 811B horns. They have some very unique "character" but I think a Pi setup would be smoother and have more "air" due to the shorter and less resonant horn and likely has less beaming in the top octave.

Regards and thanks

Claus

Re: 4pi information [message #64545 is a reply to message #64544] Fri, 29 October 2010 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The four π loudspeaker is optimized for the drivers chosen. There are a few optional drivers available for it, but none are Altecs. However, there have been lots of specialized designs, mods and one-offs using Altec drivers based on the π design concepts and in particular, the π crossover. The Altec 515G is, actually, one of the sort of "unauthorized favorite" drop-in replacement midwoofers.
I used to support a more modular approach using modeling to dial-in the specific drivers. I don't do much of that anymore because I spent so much time optimizing the existing designs. They're really much better than a generic modular approach will allow, so in order to leverage my invetment in R&D, I encourage people to stick to the plans. They are pretty highly optimized, so performance is very good. This is a fairly time-intensive process, so I have begun to gently nudge people to stick with existing plans using their recommended drivers, taking advantage of the design efforts I've already done.
Still, I encourage you to look through the archives. You'll see a lot of discussions about Altecs here, and of π Speakers made with them, using a sort of modular approach that the crossover I've developed allows. The link above shows more about that process.
Re: 4pi information [message #64548 is a reply to message #64545] Fri, 29 October 2010 09:46 Go to previous message
ckdf999 is currently offline  ckdf999
Esquire
Thanks a lot Wayne for your kind hints and notes.

Understand your approach and appreciate all your work!

Regards

Claus
Previous Topic: Sound Familiar?
Next Topic: Karlson perfect pitch ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 17:06:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers