Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Miles and Jimi
Miles and Jimi [message #6446] Mon, 20 February 2006 18:55 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'm watching this show about Jimi Hendrix and they are showing unseen clips of Jimi playing interspersed with interviews. So they are talking to Billy Cox and he tells this story about one time when he is speaking to Miles Davis the first time they meet. It happens Billy ends up asking what moves Miles in music; he tells it like, Miles stuttered slowly and quietly; practically a whisper. So Billy ask's "what?" and Miles in this hoarse drawl says,"Machine Gun...., then the show segue's into the New Years Eve Fillmore East version of "Machine Gun."
Great Stuff.
I had an argument about who was better; Jimi or Eddie Van Halen the other night. The guy just did not want to admitt that Jimi was the best.
Muy Loco.

Then never ending debate [message #6447 is a reply to message #6446] Tue, 21 February 2006 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
On guitar sites who's better goes on endlessly. Jimi did a lot of stuff first, Eddie brought new techniques to the fore. Both very influential, but Jimi more so. The first time I heard Eddie, my jaw dropped, but the first time I heard Jimi I fell down.

BUT, (I always get flamed for this), Jimi went to England, hung out with Jeff Beck for a while and came back a guitar god. Jeff Beck is the most underrated player ever. Inconsistent, irascible and utterly brilliant when on his game. If only he and Rod Stewart could have made it work we would have had probably the greatest blues rock band ever. Yes, Page stole the Led Zep sound from Beck, Frampton stole the vox box, and every Jazz fusion player must bend his knee to Beck.

BTW, "Kind of Blue" is never very far from my cd player.

Re: Then never ending debate [message #6448 is a reply to message #6447] Tue, 21 February 2006 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good observations; I think he was exposed to some of the english folk guys also; Thompson and Martyn etc. Funny how the Band of Gypsies never really worked out. My take on Jimi is he wasn't a pyro-tech guy, he had this melodic and slightly dragged out style like the old blues guys. So to compare the two is not fair in terms of musical ability. Jimi just played more music while Eddie had chops.
I'm sure this has been done to death. But I agree regarding Jeff Beck, he seems to have paved the way for the guitar a a lead instrument in Rock and Roll; do you think Miles was copying some of the guitar licks when he made some of the later fusion albums?

Re: Then never ending debate [message #6449 is a reply to message #6448] Tue, 21 February 2006 07:03 Go to previous message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
"Jimi just played more music while Eddie had chops" Dead on the money.

I think what Jimi got exposed to in England was the use of effects and techniques with them, which he took to new heights. Beck can get more sound out of a fender amp by itself than anyone.

I don't know about Miles. His shadow looms over 3 decades of Jazz so large that it's almost impossible to determine where it all came from. He was the leading edge of 3 or 4 movements in Jazz. Blow by Blow and Bitches Brew are pretty much considered the definitive fusion albums. Blow by Blow didn't leave my turntable for months.

Previous Topic: My Old Fav
Next Topic: Good rock & roll from early 90's Manchester England
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 05:38:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout