Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Plan Request
Plan Request [message #63969] Wed, 01 September 2010 09:06 Go to next message
lilotter45 is currently offline  lilotter45
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

I have lurking on your website, as well as the forums, for quite some time now and believe I may finally be ready to take the plunge build a set of your speakers. I am, however, at a bit of a crossroads due to budget considerations (I'm a student). I would love to build a set of four pi speakers, but am also considering the two pi tower as a more gradual (and perhaps economical) introduction. If you have an opinion on the subject I would appreciate hearing it. If possible, I would also like to have a look at the plans for each to ponder my next move a bit more. Thanks in advance.
Re: Plan Request [message #63970 is a reply to message #63969] Wed, 01 September 2010 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The two π tower is a wonderful speaker for budget systems. It has deep, full bass but doesn't sound bloated. The midrange is pure and clear and the treble is crisp without being over-represented. It is the perfect speaker for secondary or bedroom systems. It's what I use in my bedroom, where it's driver height is useful, easily clearing the bed. As an aside, the bed eliminates floor bounce, so that's another reason this speaker works well there.

The four π loudspeaker is really a price-no-object high-end speaker, especially with the upgraded driver compliment. It isn't expensive compared to other high end speakers, but it is definitely a statement product that performs very, very well. It is more expensive than the lower cost two π speakers, but you get controlled directivity and greater dynamic range for the added cost. An all-out system includes four π mains and multiple (two to four) subwoofers. If used for home theater as well as music, two π speakers serve well as surrounds.

Re: Plan Request [message #63990 is a reply to message #63970] Sun, 05 September 2010 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne, thanks for sending the plans. I just had a chance to look at them last night and am looking forward to the opportunity to begin working on a set. After looking the plans over, I think I will have to wait on building the 4Pis, but will definitely do so in the future. I think the 2 Pi will be a good project, however, I realized I didn't look at the specs closely enough on your website and the towers will be too large for my space, so I was wondering if you would be able to send the non-tower version of the 2 Pi. I think it will be just about the right size for my room.

I also had a question regarding the kit. For some of your other speakers you have upgrade options for the crossover, etc. but not for the 2 Pi. I was curious how the components in the 2 Pi kit compare to those of your other speakers?

Anyway, that you for your generosity and willingness to share your knowledge and experience.
Re: Plan Request [message #63995 is a reply to message #63990] Sun, 05 September 2010 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll send plans for the standard bookshelf version of the two π loudspeaker.

The crossover we put in the kits uses good parts that I wouldn't upgrade, including a Solen 10uF poly capacitor and a Jantzen 0.5mH air-core coil. I mean, I know there are more expensive parts (like Auricaps, for example) but the parts we use are very good, certainly not what I would consider bargain-basement budget parts. They're name brands, good stuff.

Re: Plan Request [message #64005 is a reply to message #63995] Tue, 07 September 2010 20:06 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks for the clarification on the crossover. I didn't mean to imply the components are subpar, I was just curious where they fall in the spectrum of components you offer on your other crossovers (they are basically the same components I would use, had I elected build it myself). Once I make some progress on the enclosures I'll be ordering the kit. Thanks again and I look forward to receiving the plans and getting started on the build.
Previous Topic: Are the prices on the Price page per pair or a single speaker?
Next Topic: Plans Request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 29 05:26:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout