Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3pi's in a corner?
3pi's in a corner? [message #63768] Mon, 09 August 2010 07:06 Go to next message
gearnut
Esquire
Wayne, I've been thinking about a pair of 3pi's for the bedroom, but they would end up very close to the corners. Do you think that a hybrid 3pi built in a triangular cabinet with the volume and tuning of the 6pi bass bin would provide some of the advantage of the larger cornerhorn in a two way loudspeaker?
Re: 3pi's in a corner? [message #63774 is a reply to message #63768] Mon, 09 August 2010 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Just put the three π loudspeakers in the corners and angle them in 45°. They'll work beautifully. The box tuning is already slightly overdamped, just like the six π cornerhorn, so you don't need to change vent tuning. I'd suggest multisubs also, whether going three π or six π.

Honestly, the biggest thing to consider when putting these speakers in or near corners isn't the influence on bass response. In a premium quality installation, you'll deal with the bass separately, using a multi-sub approach. What we're looking for here is to control reflections at higher frequencies, midrange and above. That's one reason why what you really want the speakers angled-in 45°. It will help reduce early reflections off the adjacent walls. You'll be fitting the radiation pattern of the speakers approximately within the angle of the walls.

That's one reason why snuggling them tightly into the corner works best. The walls become more like a launch point than a reflector. You can't get a self-interference notch from reflection if the source lies on the boundary. So consider that when placing the speakers in your room.
Re: 3pi's in a corner? [message #63776 is a reply to message #63774] Mon, 09 August 2010 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearnut
Esquire
Thanks Wayne, I don't have the room for cornerhorns anymore and am trying to get as close as possible to that approach because I really miss them. Looks like I'll be ordering a pair of 3pi crossovers soon...
Re: 3pi's in a corner? [message #63790 is a reply to message #63776] Tue, 10 August 2010 09:49 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, that's the perfect application for three π or four π loudspeakers. It's exactly what they were designed for. They're for use in rooms that don't have the right corners, or when someone isn't sure they'll always have the right corners. They're more flexible in placement, trading midrange directivity for placement options. To tell the truth, they're much more popular because the corner placement requirement of the π cornerhorn is a limiting factor for many people.

Keep us posted and let me know if there's anything I can do for you.
Previous Topic: Speaker Cabinet builders in Boston area?
Next Topic: Subwoofer placement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 08 04:27:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout