Home » Audio » General » MP3Gain and Phase
MP3Gain and Phase [message #63484] Thu, 22 July 2010 13:51 Go to next message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was wondering if anyone could help me out on this issue.

I have noticed a dramatic improvement in quality when I changed the amplitude settings from 89db to 93db. The reasoning is that it provides a better S/N ratio and overall is much closer to the level CD is usually mastered at. I noticed a great improvement in high order harmonics and a much more natural stereo sound. I have always gotten the impression that any sort of attenuation tends to tame the higher frequencies but not so much the lower ones.

Anyway, whatever the case may actually be as to what is going on, we all know that if you boost mids they are going to be phasey, but if everything except mids is cut, there is no problem. So what I am asking is that if I have an album that was mastered at 90db and MP3gain kicks it up to 93.5 (and obviously reports clipping that is inaudible/irrelevant as far as I am concerned. Edit: and I mean I can actually see it is not hitting zero on a waveform editor)is this going to cause the same phase issues that would occur if you changed the master/pre-amp of an EQ?

Let me be a little clearer if any of that was not. Does boosting a signal create any phase difference? How about if a "clean" signal is clipped slightly? Does that make any difference?

If you are reading this and use MP3gain, please, try out a 93 (older masters) or 96 (modern mastering) decibel setting. I'm sure you'll find it more accurate sounding as I did.

Thanks for any replies.

Re: MP3Gain and Phase [message #63486 is a reply to message #63484] Thu, 22 July 2010 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Increasing amplitude should not affect phase.

Re: MP3Gain and Phase [message #63503 is a reply to message #63486] Sat, 24 July 2010 21:06 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the reply. I'm not noticing any differences in balance so far.

My problem is that my left ear is not as strong as my right (typical for most people that drive on the right side of the road as is the inverse being true)and I typically have a difficult time getting the balance right on the vocals. The higher vocal harmonic is always a bit louder in my right ear when everything else like the kick, snare and bass guitars are down the middle where they should be. I can typically get the vocals down the center if I don't mind guitars being a little stronger on the left. It is a real compromise.

I have never had any of this sort of problem on speakers since slightly moving my head and the crosstalk will correct any tonal imbalance. It is always with headphones.

Previous Topic: Ipod shuffle
Next Topic: Suggest an Ipod for me
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 10:46:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout