Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Grizzly Man
Grizzly Man [message #6345] Thu, 26 January 2006 04:21 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
I saw Werner Herzog's "Grizzly Man" last weekend. The movie certainly doesn't need my recommendation -- it's received almost universal praise -- but since I don't think it's been mentioned here, I'll add my thumbs up anyway.

The film is beautiful and compelling. The protagonist, Timothy Treadwell, was clearly as crazy as a loon, and yet endearing and delightful despite, or rather because of, his craziness. Looking to give his life meaning and stability, he embraced the bears as a drowning man clutches a life preserver. He anthropomorphized the bears in ways that bordered on delusional, leading him to take risks that leave the viewer awed by his courage and astounded by his foolhardiness, and resulting in astonishing footage that is both gorgeous and tinged with anticipated dread.

Herzog's treatment of Treadwell is both sympathetic and ironic, as he watches Treadwell's obsessive pursuit slowly hurtle to its terrible conclusion much like a train wreck in slow motion.

Highly recommended.

Re: Grizzly Man [message #6346 is a reply to message #6345] Thu, 26 January 2006 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I heard about this guy from some friends a few days ago. I guess he took his girlfriend with him and they both were eaten. Amazing.

Re: Grizzly Man [message #6348 is a reply to message #6346] Thu, 26 January 2006 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Wayne,

Sorry, perhaps I didn't provide enough background 'cause I assumed everyone was generally familiar with it. Yes, the protagonist spent 13 summers in the Alaska wilderness, months at a time on his own (or with one companion some years), with no weapons. He literally lived with the grizzlies, spending hours and days within feet of them. He named them and talked to them in a high sing-song voice, much as I talk to my cats. In the process, he made about 100 hours of video showing himself with the bears. Selections from these videos make up most of the film, together with Herzog's voiceover and post-mortem interviews of friends and acquaintances.

At the end of the 13th year, the day before he was due to be picked up, he and his companion were killed and eaten, probably by an elderly bear he wasn't familiar with which had not yet gone into hibernation and roamed into the area because it looking for food and still trying to put on fat for the winter.

Although audio of the actual attack was taped (the camera was on with the lens cap on), we do not hear it. At one point we do see Herzog as he listens to the tape with headphones, and there is one brief medium-distance shot of the gory scene, apparently filmed by the authorities who came in response to the bush pilot's call for help. Small kids, no; teens who have seen "Saw", no problem.

If you haven't seen it, do. It's one of the finest movies I've seen in a long time. It's haunting, it stays with you, and I'm going to watch it again this weekend.

Re: Grizzly Man [message #6349 is a reply to message #6348] Thu, 26 January 2006 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oooh, that's grizzly. OK, sorry. Bad pun. Bad, bad pun. I'll behave for the rest of the day, I promise.

Seriously, that's one I'll have to check out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Re: Grizzly Man [message #6350 is a reply to message #6349] Thu, 26 January 2006 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'm a huge fan of Herzog; "Aguirre, The Wrath Of God" is one of my alltime favorites, like sitting through a fever dream.
I saw Fitzcarraldo before I knew who he was and I was absorbed. The cinematography alone is amazing.

Re: Grizzly Man [message #6351 is a reply to message #6350] Thu, 26 January 2006 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll definitely have to check those out. Thought about renting something tonight, but I think I'm gonna stay inside. Maybe this weekend.

Re: Grizzly Man [message #6352 is a reply to message #6351] Thu, 26 January 2006 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why should we have to rent? There's only about 2000 stations on the cable...too bad there's nothing on. And to think we used to say that same thing when there was only 13 stations.
Maybe I should get a satellite dish; then I can watch I Love Lucy anytime night or day somewhere in the US.

Re: Grizzly Man [message #6353 is a reply to message #6352] Thu, 26 January 2006 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
With those 2000 stations, I still wind up watching Law & Order reruns.

Re: Grizzly Man [message #6354 is a reply to message #6352] Thu, 26 January 2006 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! Is it already out on TV?

Re: Grizzly Man [message #6355 is a reply to message #6353] Thu, 26 January 2006 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: In the bedroom
Next Topic: Happy Birthday, Wolfgang
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 18:03:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers