Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4.5 possible? (Pi4 with two JBL 2226H's)
Pi 4.5 possible? [message #63416] Fri, 16 July 2010 22:54 Go to previous message
Infrasonic is currently offline  Infrasonic
Chancellor
Hi Wayne!

I was lucky enough to acquire three JBL 4648a's from someone in Kentucky.

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=74&MId=1

I will have them shipped to me in a week or two. I got them cause it was a sick deal on six 8ohm 2226H's. The Pi4 project has been on my to-do list all year so that's why I got them.

I was wondering if there was a way to make a Pi4.5 with a 2nd 2226H in the mix. Basically the bottom woofer would get a 150hz 1st order lowpass while the upper 2226H get fullrange up to the crossover of yours. Now I know this would be a 4ohm load now and that your crossover is made for a single 2226H at 8ohms.

Is there a way I could make this work for me? I want to have dual woofers used cause I love bass and want all the sensitivity and impact I can get. Btw, this is for my HT so I definitely want that cinema sound. I really want this: http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=84&MId=1 but with your crossover and CD/lens combo. I'd love to have all the bass capability I can get for my mains.

What are your thoughts on this, Wayne?

EDIT: After further pondering I wonder... maybe it would still work with your xover the way I imagine it. It's really late at night and I've had a long week so I am probably wrong but would the xover itself see the full 4ohm load or would just the amp? I figure I make a slightly extended version of your cab (the Pi4) to allow room for the 2nd 2226H. Above that the speaker is a normal Pi4. Now it will have a 2nd underneath this time with just a 1st or xover @ 150hz-ish. Same baffle shared, same amp. Two woofers, two xovers. I sounds like it could work but I am pretty sleepy too. Heh. Just brainstorming.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message