Home » Audio » General » Sound sickness?
Re: Sound sickness? [message #62960 is a reply to message #62956] Sat, 29 May 2010 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Lyrica wrote on Sat, 29 May 2010 00:38
I've often wondered if sounds can actually make you sick. Some death metal type music actually makes my stomach queasy and some music can actually trigger migraines for me. Am I nuts or is there some truth to this?

Yes, sounds can indeed make you sick. It's a long proven, well-established fact that music can have a profound physical effect, and any music you find offensive will almost certainly affect you negatively. Certain music (such as the death metal you mentioned) gives me a headache in mere seconds, and some music literally makes me feel nauseous. No joke.

Going a little further, there are certain notes that have a powerful effect on the mind and body, especially infrasonic frequencies (those below 20 Hz). For example, 12Hz is famous as the "vomit frequency," as it causes severe nausea. 7Hz is the "death frequency," which will actually kill you if loud enough.

Other frequencies can make you anxious and depressed, some make you lethargic, docile, and fatigued, some make you fearful and disoriented, etc.

The Nazis did a lot of experimentation with infrasonic sound, and found a certain frequency that would create anger and aggression. They would deploy hidden infrasonic devices during Hitler's speeches, ensuring the crowd was whipped into a supercharged frenzy of anger, hatred, and violence in response to his words.

There's also been a lot of research into higher bass frequencies, those from 20Hz to 100Hz. They too can have powerful negative effects, such as nausea, vertigo and dizziness, anxiety, fatigue, headache, etc.

There used to be a guy across the street who built competition car stereos. He had this one particular bass test CD that had a sweeping bass tone from infrasonic up to maybe 80Hz, and then back down. When he played it, my kitchen cabinet doors would bounce, stuff would rattle, and I'd immediately become nauseous. I have no idea how he kept from puking, being right there next to the car.

Thermionic Smile

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message