Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3 Pi - Could it work for me?
3 Pi - Could it work for me? [message #62526] Wed, 05 May 2010 22:06 Go to previous message
Docere is currently offline  Docere
Chancellor
It has been a while... but I can finally foresee a time when I can make a new pair of speakers happen. I have eliminated "wide/full-range" drivers and Altec duplex units based on their various compromises and apparent challenges to getting them to present music in a way I would like.

Background
The 3 Pi with AE and B&C drivers would likely fit my needs and constraints, but I would like to confirm a few things. My amp will be a ~ 3W to 6W SET amp (with healthy overload behaviour). I have attached a layout of the room (red boxes = speakers, blue blob = listening position). The room is room 12.5(w) x 18.7(l) x 8.8 (h) feet. I will be listening across the short dimension at ~ 8 to 9 feet, with the speakers ~ 7 feet apart (driver ctr to driver ctr); speakers will be against the front wall and at least 3.5 feet from side walls. There are room openings along the front wall (long dimension) starting at the outer sides of each speaker, so the front wall does not provide a genuine quarter-space (I think?!) loading.

I generally listen at low to moderate levels, with occasional loud listening being at a volume where I can still hear someone talk with their voice a little raised; rarely louder. I listen to a wide range of music, but not so much heavy orchestral/opera or metal. Quite a lot of ambient, alt-folk, melodic indie, down-tempo; some jazz and alt-country... I like melody, foot-tapping, effortless flow and listening with friends while forgetting about hi-fi. Speaker size (within reason) is not really an issue as my long-term GF loves music and is supportive; she likes speakers that look functional and even prefers wide baffles to dainty narrow ones (though she thinks tubes are a little phallic especially 845s and 211s)!

Questions
So, given the room and amp power constraints, could the 3 Pi work well, or would I be better opting for the 4 Pi with 2226? Any suggestions for how I could get the most out of such a room/make the Pi spks more useable, eg. move the speakers closer together and or use flanking subs subs distributed around the room would be tougher, would be appreciated.

Are the impedance and phase graphs of the 3 and 4 Pi available for viewing this would help me determine suitability for a SET amp? That said, if you say it will work I will trust your opinion. Also, would I need to alter slightly the damping of the mid-bass driver to account for the high-ish output impedance of the SET amp?

Finally, I would love the option of being able to use those beautiful Pi wood horns at some later stage. How difficult is it to achieve the required distances between driver centres how precise do they need to be? Would it be practical to build the speaker with a separate Eminence horn module and then swap in the wood horns at some later date?

Apologies for asking so many questions Wayne, you are very generous with your time, but short answers are fine if you are busy. Here's hoping that a Pi speaker will be in my house for the next 10 years or so (or more!).

Cheers
Raymond

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2PI tower