Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Just received a set of 2 Pi's ...
Just received a set of 2 Pi's ... [message #62263] Sat, 03 April 2010 19:48 Go to next message
Danzhifi is currently offline  Danzhifi
Esquire
... from an Audiogon seller...and I'm pretty excited !! I've been listening on a 38wpc tube amp and it's sounding pretty nice. These, I'm told, are older speakers. They have been upgraded with the Vifa DX25 tweeters.

I opened them up to check inside. I see a 10 uF Solen cap in series and a 16 ohm Dayton damping resistor. There is fiberglass insulation on all surfaces except one long side. Sound right?

They are very dynamic with great tone and an ease to them that my smaller 7" 2 ways never mustered. Large open sound stage too.

I've already considered building them into towers (Wayne please send plans). Can tower dimensions be adjusted to accomodate a narrower ( say 12") baffle? A little searching showed several builders adjusting the 1 Pi into towers. Even some mention of a 2.5 way version for 1 and 2 Pi towers, did this ever transpire?

I heard one builder mention using a .5 mH inductor on the 8" driver. Does this help upper roll off? Would the 10" benefit from this as well?

Just looking for ways to maximize the speakers potential. Thanks in advance for any and all input guys!
Re: Just received a set of 2 Pi's ... [message #62265 is a reply to message #62263] Sat, 03 April 2010 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There should be a 0.5mH coil in series with the woofer. If it isn't there, install one. The upper midrange is a little too strident without it.

The bookshelf model two π sounds great as a surround speaker. It is rich and full sounding, and provides adequate bass. But the towers reach a full octave lower. As mains, I think you'd be much happier with towers if you don't have subs.

Re: Just received a set of 2 Pi's ... [message #62274 is a reply to message #62265] Sat, 03 April 2010 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne, I received the tower plans.

I thought it strange no filter at all on the 10". The .5 mH inductor will address the one issue I was having with the sound... the midrange "glare" I was hearing.

More later
Inductors installed [message #62286 is a reply to message #62274] Sun, 04 April 2010 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I slightly unwound a perfect lay inductor pair to .5 mH each and hooked them up in series. Now we're talking! No in your face female vocals or blaring saxophone searing my ears. I like the speakers. Who'd of thought something this simple and inexpensive could sound so "right"?!

Back to the tower 2 design. Can the speaker be built with the baffle width 13"W and the depth 16", basically turning the cabinet 90 degrees? I'd prefer a narrower cabinet if it doesn't effect performance. Also, a 46" cabinet height places the tweeter at 43"... a bit high for my seating. 36" is more typical and would be easier to accomodate. What would it take to make a 40" cabinet work?

I'm certainly not suggesting any "improvements" to the 2 Pi tower design Wayne. Just asking to see if I can make it work for my admittedly small listening room.

BTW... I do have a nice 10" sealed subwoofer
Re: Inductors installed [message #62289 is a reply to message #62286] Mon, 05 April 2010 09:49 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, you can rotate the cabinet and mount the drivers on the 13" side rather than the 16" side. That's one mod you can do safely. I kind of wince when people want to modify that box because it's tall enough that standing wave modes become significant. Just changing the positions of stuff can change the response. But rotating the box is safe. Just keep the vertical positions of the woofer and port the same and you'll be alright.

Previous Topic: 8 Pi horn and woofer?
Next Topic: 3 Pi Modifications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 08:22:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout