Home » Audio » General » Electricity... power strips and ac improvements (power strips)
Electricity... power strips and ac improvements [message #62238] Wed, 31 March 2010 17:16 Go to next message
noviygera is currently offline  noviygera
Chancellor
Hello friends,

For long I wanted to address the issues of too few power outlets and improvement of AC quality. I currently use two $10 power strips. I do not have $2000 for APS purepower or other exotic devices, so maybe some one can help me start off with the basics. I have a feeling that buying a used PS300 is not the best way to start, but let me know if I am wrong.

What needs to be plugged:
I have 6 components on the front end (2 turntables, pre-amp, 2 laptops, active crossover)
I have 5 power amps (one tube, rest solid state)
I need 6 spare outlets
my budget $400.

My thought is to get a filtered strip (Furman or monster) for front end ONLY, and a long basic 24 outlet network strip (no surge protectors) for amps and spare outlets. That would cost about $250. Good idea or not?

Thank you,
Herman
Re: Electricity... power strips and ac improvements [message #62242 is a reply to message #62238] Thu, 01 April 2010 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think surge protectors and AC filters are a pretty good idea. The filters will help take the hash off the line from fluorescent lights and some digital devices. Surge protectors will help you if lightning strikes a few hundred yards away - that normally would spike the line, but surge protectors will clamp it. Naturally they can't stop a direct hit, or even one closer than a few hundred feet. The coupled EMF pulse is too great. But they can stop a great number of spikes, and that makes them worth their relatively low cost.

Re: Electricity... power strips and ac improvements [message #62627 is a reply to message #62242] Wed, 12 May 2010 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxie is currently offline  Maxie
Chancellor
I would invest in surge protectors rather than just power strips. Surge protectors can be purchased at very reasonable prices and even the less expensive ones are still better protection than a normal power strip.
Re: Electricity... power strips and ac improvements [message #62951 is a reply to message #62238] Fri, 28 May 2010 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TLC123 is currently offline  TLC123
Chancellor
I had basic power strips and found out why you should have surge protectors instead. I had a television and stereo system fry from a storm. I now only use surge protectors.
Re: Electricity... power strips and ac improvements [message #63107 is a reply to message #62238] Wed, 09 June 2010 12:50 Go to previous message
jvanzyl is currently offline  jvanzyl
Esquire
I bought a Majik Buss for $600 from GR Research and I must say it is probably the best money I have spent on my system. Not only did it have huge benefits for my audio system but it also improved my home theater system tremendously. My system is just not the same without it. I do not think that it protects against spikes but boy, does it filter. I know that it cost more than your planned budget but they have a 30 day money back guarantee which will allow you to hear for yourself what all the fuss is about. We have compared the performance of the Majik Buss to some heavy isolation transformers and the Majik Buss definitely got my vote.
Previous Topic: GPS units
Next Topic: Nice tabletop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 03 21:50:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout