Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Impressions and Recommendations - 3pi and 4pi variants (Choosing an upgrade path from old 3pi)
Re: Impressions and Recommendations - 3pi and 4pi variants [message #62051 is a reply to message #62050] Thu, 11 March 2010 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Inside that first link called "Information about π Speakers", you'll see a second link called "More information about π Speakers". Go down through that thread a little ways and you can read my thoughts about JBL and AE. I have a lot of experience with JBL, and really know their sound and how they act at all conditions, ages and drive levels, from brand-new to 20 years old, and from less than a watt to full-out, time to recone after this show. I don't have nearly this much experience with the AE drivers, so I will want to live with them for quite some time before I will feel like I know them as well. I will say they measure very nicely and my early impressions are very favorable, even more than I expected. Read that thread for more elaboration.

As for the PSD2002 verses DE250, these have measurable and audible differences, all above 8kHz. The DE250 is just plain smoother. It isn't night and day though, more like shades of grey, but I also wouldn't say it's subtle. Well, maybe I would. The PSD2002 sounds clear and has adequate extension, good sparkle and clarity but is maybe a little bit harsher. It's pretty well behaved for a titanium diaphragm but its breakup modes do give a bit more ripple in the top octave than I'd like. Still, it's a great bang-for-the-buck driver, and I can listen to it for extended periods without becoming fatigued, even at relatively loud levels. But then, swap in the DE250 and compare, and you'll feel like you went from denim to silk. It's much smoother, and doesn't lose any top-end extension in the trade. In fact, the DE250 reaches a bit higher on the top end as well as having a few decibels less ripple.

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: tractrix horn/driver throat matching
Next Topic: 3 Pi subwoofer mounting question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 17 02:20:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects