Home » Audio » General » Speaker keeps cutting in and out
Speaker keeps cutting in and out [message #61975] Tue, 02 March 2010 16:37 Go to next message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
I have one speaker in my door that keeps cutting in and out and it's driving me nuts. Does this mean I'm going to have to replace the speaker or could there possibly be a loose wire in there? Any help would be much appreciated.
Re: Speaker keeps cutting in and out [message #61976 is a reply to message #61975] Tue, 02 March 2010 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That symptom normally does indicate a loose connection. Check the connectors and tighten if necessary. They are usually just friction fittings, and often times they aren't tight enough to provide any real friction. If they slide on and off real easy, they aren't tight enough. Remove the connector and gently squeeze it with pliers, just enough to make it a little bit hard to put back on. Be sure to support the lug when re-installing, because the lug is sometimes on a pretty flimsy piece of fiberboard or cardboard, and you can easily break it by applying too much pressure.

That's just one place where there are mechanical connections. The friction fitting is most likely crimped onto the wire. This can sometimes be a problem too. Check to make sure the wire is firmly held in place, and if not, either recrimp or solder. There are also connections at the other end, usually under the dash. Those are usually a little better, but sometimes not. So if you find the connectors on the speaker end are fine, check the amplifier end, preamp and all others. But start with the speaker end because that's where the trouble usually is.

Re: Speaker keeps cutting in and out [message #62117 is a reply to message #61975] Tue, 16 March 2010 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mavare
Baron
I saw a speaker wire once in a car a buddy had that had been barely cut into. It would be fine for a while and then it would start cutting in and out. We had the hardest time finding that little nick in the wire. But when we did, that fixed it. They can be really hard to find sometimes.
Re: Speaker keeps cutting in and out [message #62476 is a reply to message #62117] Mon, 03 May 2010 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxie is currently offline  Maxie
Chancellor
Unfortunately, mine is never usually an easy fix. My brother just finished working on mine and, of course, he had to get under the dash in order to fix the problem.
Re: Speaker keeps cutting in and out [message #62575 is a reply to message #61975] Mon, 10 May 2010 12:11 Go to previous message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
I had that happen in my car and it was a loose wire but you won't know until you get in there. If the car is older then it could possibly be that your speaker needs to be replaced. Do you play your music real loud? If you do that then you could possibly have blown your speaker out.
Previous Topic: No Longer Blaupunkt?
Next Topic: Old Radio Codes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 27 14:19:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout