Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7pi Plans
7pi Plans [message #61803] Thu, 04 February 2010 15:26 Go to next message
Justin Morken is currently offline  Justin Morken
Chancellor
May I have a copy of the 7pi Plans?
Thank you sir!

-Justin Morken
Re: 7pi Plans [message #61804 is a reply to message #61803] Thu, 04 February 2010 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

Re: 7pi Plans [message #61805 is a reply to message #61804] Fri, 05 February 2010 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin Morken is currently offline  Justin Morken
Chancellor
Thank you very much!

Just thought I'd point out - on the schematic L1 is labeled "1.0uF". I'm guessing this is supposed to be 1.0mH?

The thing I was blown away with after opening the plans is how simple (read: inexpensive) the crossover is! I've built 2-ways with twice as many components (not counting all the resistors in parallel).

Also, If I were to substitute a woofer with slightly less sensitivity (-2db), could I adjust the value of R5 and R2 to compensate? Or would this mess up the response? Normally I wouldn't mess with a good thing, but I've already got a great pair of McCauley 15's that would dig a bit deeper (in a larger box) than the 2226's.
Re: 7pi Plans [message #61807 is a reply to message #61805] Fri, 05 February 2010 22:06 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, that's true. I noticed that I mislabeled that a while back, meant to change it and forgot. It's been labeled like that for a while.

About woofer sensitivity, I'd pad the midhorn and tweeter to match. You might build it as-is and measure to find out what the exact difference is.

You know, the function of a crossover is pretty simple. It's job really is to split the frequency band out to the respective drivers so that no out-of-band frequencies are presented to a driver that would cause damage or poor performance. The main thing that's important, in that regard, is to do so in such a way that summing is good through the overlap band. Sometimes, the crossover also has to match sensitivity, which is usually done by a voltage divider, basically a pair of resistors.

Occasionally, it is desirable to do a little bit of equalization in the crossover, in addition to its basic frequency-splitting function. If a driver has response that isn't flat but that is predicable, such as a simple first-order rolloff, say from mass, then that's a good canidate for equalization in the crossover. An example is CD equalization, often done in tweeter circuits for constant-directivity horns because of the mass rolloff exhibited by the drivers. In this case, equalization fully solves the problem and it works well.

Some people also provide equalization in the crossover for things that I wouldn't do myself. Examples that come to mind are response anomalies that are caused by directivity or diaphragm breakup. These are things that cannot be solved with equalization. If you try to solve either of those kinds of problems by equalizing response flat on-axis, then it is NOT flat off-axis and vice versa.

I prefer to make power response flat, and then to have uniform directivity. That solves the problem rather than using some kind of on-axis band-aid approach. As an example, by putting the speakers in the corner, you make the so-called baffle step a mute point.

It's popular in DIY circles to provide baffle step compensation, but think about what that really is. When a speaker transitions from free-space radiation to half-space in the frequency range where the baffle becomes acoustically large, then the sound gradually becomes more focused from being omnidirectional to radiating only forward. It is then louder at the higher frequencies than it is at lower frequencies.

Baffle step is a form of collapsing directivity. Most speakers will tend to continually narrow their radiation patterns even further as frequency rises because the diaphragms become acoustically large and the pattern narrows even more, often into less than eighth space at the highest frequencies. Some people call this beaming, and that's a good description of what it is.

When the sound pattern is increasingly narrow at higher frequencies, then the response usually rises. It gets louder as frequency rises. If the speaker has equalization, either in the crossover or because of electro-mechanic-acoustic properties, perhaps mass-rolloff that precisely counters the rising response from collapsing directivity, then response is flat on-axis but rolled-off off-axis. This makes the reverberent field unbalanced spectrally, and I think that sounds unnatural.

A simple and I would argue elegant solution is to control directivity. The cornerhorns, for example, cannot have baffle step because they are already radiating into a much tighter area than half-space. When the woofer fires into the corner, it radiates into eighth-space. The midhorn and tweeter are also designed to radiate a 90° pattern. So there is no need for any sort of equalization for changing directivity - It is already uniform. The only EQ required is for mass-rolloff of the compression driver, a simple first-order slope.

Previous Topic: Two Pi Tower
Next Topic: Thinking of using electronic crossover - what should I know?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 02:06:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio