Home » Audio » General » Building A Vintage STEREO System (recommendation) (How To)
Building A Vintage STEREO System (recommendation) [message #61733] Sat, 16 January 2010 15:58 Go to next message
Braniff727 is currently offline  Braniff727
Esquire
A couple of questions as I LOVE music, but I am really ignorant as to what vintage equipment will best suit my needs.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR:
A basic audio system. I play mainly LP's and MP3's, have a LARGE collection of CD's as well. A good system on a modest budget.

QUESTIONS:
What would work best? A standard receiver or stereo integrated amp? What are some good vintage speakers that will work well with said amp?

Brands? I see a lot of Marantz and Sansui receivers/amps in local shops here in LA. Speakers I am clueless on vintage and what will work best with this set up. Seems silly to get a new, hi-tech speaker for an old amp. Enlighten me please!

I have on old Dual turn table, but may replace it. Ideas on ones that produce good quality sound?

Thanks a million and I look forward to your ideas!
Re: Building A Vintage STEREO System (recommendation) [message #61735 is a reply to message #61733] Sun, 17 January 2010 10:30 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't think separates are inherently better than integrated amps or even receivers. I've seen some really good integrated amps, especially when considering tube gear. I've also seen some rally good separates, dedicated preamps and monoblocks or stereo amps. But the opposite is true too, there are some stinkers out there of each type. Just pay attention to detail, listen to them and examine them for build quality. I tend to listen for hum and for how they sound when they get near their limits as well as how they play at low levels.

Same thing with speakers. I'd do some studying here on the various loudspeaker forums to learn a little about each loudspeaker technology and what to listen for.

Your Dual turntable is probably really nice, if it was good to start with and you've kept it in good condition, I'd probably start out with it. You can also browse the turntable forum for information about some of the other turntables out there.

Previous Topic: Lone Star Audio Fest dates have been set.
Next Topic: Kenwood MV-9D Monitor speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 01:07:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout