Home » Audio » General » Puzzled - Please help (Does Left and Right Speakers differ in any way?)
Puzzled - Please help [message #61719] Wed, 13 January 2010 23:33 Go to previous message
AudioNovice is currently offline  AudioNovice
Esquire
I apologise for this stupid question.

I have a Sony System (LBT-XB88AV with SS-XB88V speakers, 4 way, 4 channel, bass reflex) manufactured in late nineties. I had connected the speakers with correct polarity but never noticed the Right and Left markings denoting the right and left speakers. I suffered a lot with unrealistic bass and very noisy mid to high frequency. The sound will crack even at 10 db cut at 4 KHz and 16 KHz bands and would marginally improve with a 6db cut on 1 KHz band (alongwith 10 db cuts on 4 KHz and 16 KHz). After being driven to frustration and finding nothing else to do I interchanged the speakers. The sound changed with deeper and more realistic bass and much smoother sound quality, on top of that I thought (don't laugh) I could visualise the instruments (not too clean, but at least it's something for me!). I thought the perception that I was listening to better quality sound was purely mental. However yesterday I found the R and L marks on the backside of the speakers and I had unknowingly placed the "R" on the right hand side and the "L" on the left hand side. I fail to understand why it happened as speakers are passive devices (at least mine are) and are supposed to be identical.

Can anyone tell me if there is any scientific basis of getting to hear better quality music after placing the speakers on the correct sides as marked on them?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Speaker Spikes
Next Topic: Lone Star Audio Fest dates have been set.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 20:45:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio