Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4's (Questions)
4's [message #61578] Fri, 18 December 2009 21:02 Go to next message
Nashvilletitans is currently offline  Nashvilletitans
Chancellor
Hi all. I want to try some horns and have a couple of questions. I think I'm interested in a set of 4s but first let me tell you my application. I am using a Dynakit PAS2 preamp. Moded Dynaco ST-70 amp. AR XA turntable. My room is about 24 x 25 and carpeted. I do have corner space if needed. The St-70 is supposedly 35wpc but probably closer to 25 wpc. I would be listening to different kinds of music but listen to more of an acoutic type than anyhing else.
I am also interested in building them myself and wondering if the 6s are much more difficult to build than the 4's. Oh....also am I correct in thinking the price quoted on the website is "per speaker"
Thanks for any response and have a Merry Christmas.
Nash
Re: 4's [message #61579 is a reply to message #61578] Fri, 18 December 2009 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, prices are per speaker. That Dynaco is plenty for the speakers, they'll sound real nice. Both the four π and the six π are excellent speakers, either model would work fine with your amp. Which driver set were you planning to choose?

Re: 4's [message #61582 is a reply to message #61579] Sat, 19 December 2009 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. As far as the driver I was going with.......cheapest of course! Just kidding,fact is I haven't a clue. I understand there is normally a price/quality factor but I know also there is a cost/gain ratio as well. Thats why I would love some input from people who are familar with both drivers and who have perhaps heard these 2 different drivers in the same cabinets. Is there a huge difference between the two to you? Sorry to have been so long winded and looking forward to your opinions.
Thanks
NASH
Re: 4's [message #61586 is a reply to message #61582] Sat, 19 December 2009 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, there's a pretty big difference between drivers. All are pretty good but the upgrade drivers are great. In order of importance, I'd upgrade the woofer first, then the compression driver, then go with the larger coils.

Re: 4's [message #61587 is a reply to message #61578] Sat, 19 December 2009 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I built 4Pi's with the Eminence drivers- Omega and PSD 2002 and was very happy with them. Very good bang for the buck and everyone who heard them liked them. I later upgraded the comp driver to the B&C DE250 and only did 1 side at first. The improvement was very noticeable to everyone who listened, and I later got some JBL 2226's, and again, the difference was well worth the extra bucks. So, get whatever you can afford- they are all worth the money you pay & give good value at the different price breaks.
Re: 4's [message #61590 is a reply to message #61587] Sat, 19 December 2009 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the information. If my domestic accountant approves my budget I'll go with the upgrades then, if not it's nice to know you can add them as you go later. Although it would probably be cheaper in the log run to get them initally and not have to buy the other components seperately......right?
Thanks
Nash

PS
Could I get a set of plans for the 4's?
Re: 4's [message #61591 is a reply to message #61590] Sat, 19 December 2009 17:13 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yes, it's cheaper to start out with the upgrade parts because then you're not buying twice. Then again, starting with the least expensive kit gets your foot in the door and lets you improve as the budget allows. But I do think the models with upgraded parts are best of class loudspeakers, and I would highly encourage you to think seriously about that.

Even with all the upgrades, you're still talking about an inexpensive investment especially when you consider you'll be having the really, really good stuff. When I'm at shows with my top of the line fours, I feel like my room sounds as good as some of the other rooms with $30K speakers. There was even a room with $300K speakers at one show I was at, and I thought the fours sounded better than those too.

The entry level parts sound good, but don't rise to that level. The fully upgraded models really do, and you're still only looking at about a grand a speaker if you build your own cabinets. You can even use an exotic wood, and still not break the bank if you build your own. I've sent the plans, so let me know if you have any questions.

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2009/Photos/PiSpeakers_02.jpg
Previous Topic: 0.5Pi?
Next Topic: 2-Pi tower box design ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 17:22:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers