Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Cornerhorn possibility? (Can I mate a "unity horn" mid-tweeter section to the 7Pi cornerhorn?)
Re: Cornerhorn possibility? [message #61525 is a reply to message #61524] Thu, 10 December 2009 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not a big fan of the Unity design concept, at least where sound quality is concerned. Wave propogation inside the horn is unusual, with drivers placed along the walls, which causes all sorts of internal reflections. An even more basic issue is summing, and I've always questioned the ability of the designer(s) to get that part right.

I've never seen a Unity (or Synergy) that measured particularly well, having response anomalies from the internal interactions. I think that's why sales brochures for those kinds of speakers show response charts with smoothing applied, and even then you can see dips within an octave of crossover. When shown at higher resolution those prove to be destructive interference notches. Lots of stuff going on inside that kind of device, so it's no wonder there would be multiple interactions, many constructive and many destructive. It's just not a concept that appeals to me, at least not for hifi.

That said, there have been a handful of people here that have combined Unity tops with cornerhorn bass bins. Conceptually, it could be used to replace the midhorn/tweeter of the seven π cornerhorn. I think quality would be better if you stuck with the original design and stayed away from a Unity, but since you have access to them, it can't hurt to give them a try.

I propose trying both. Build the seven π as designed, and listen for a while. Then swap the Unity for the stock mid/high and compare the sound. Let us know what you think. Cool

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Talk me out of this crazy idea
Next Topic: 4-Pi box size ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 08:08:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio