Home » Audio » General » Been other places for awhile but not idle
Been other places for awhile but not idle [message #61383] Mon, 16 November 2009 05:23 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just finished a Hagerman Clarinet to go with my Cornet

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/wsepstein/IMG_0986.jpg

So far it doesn't sound much different than the passive with excellent ladder attenuator except much more dynamic. That's a good thing!

I really like these Lansing cases, especially as I don't have anywhere for woodworking except my rear deck and it rains every time I have a day off.

Building the Tubelab Simple SE showed me the utility of having many cheap DVMs for a hands-free way (thanks George) to test both channels at once and not poke around the high voltage

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/wsepstein/IMG_0983_1.jpg

3 DVMs from Jameco and 3 sets of mini-grabbers, about $80. Worth it!

What's everyone else been doin'?
Re: Been other places for awhile but not idle [message #61384 is a reply to message #61383] Mon, 16 November 2009 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's really nice lookin', Bill!

I'm having a pair of three π cabinets made with bubinga. What finish would you suggest I apply? I was thinking teak oil, but I've done a lot of stuff with teak oil over the past few years. Maybe it's time for a change. I'm thinking a few coats of lacquer might look nice too. I dunno. What do you think?

Re: Been other places for awhile but not idle [message #61396 is a reply to message #61383] Tue, 17 November 2009 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Great looking build, Bill. How does it compare to the Akido? What brand are the volume & balance pots?
Re: Been other places for awhile but not idle [message #61400 is a reply to message #61396] Tue, 17 November 2009 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Both pots are Panasonic PCB style, what Jim specs. I thought a long time about using one of my discrete attenuators and eliminating the balance but decided to go stock, then maybe change.

The Aikido has some of that CAT SL-1 black background magic; the Clarinet don't. But, it doesn't hum right out of the box and as you know, my Aikido is plagued by a pesky low-level 60Hz hum in one channel.It's been sitting on a shelf but now I'm inspired to take another shot at it and maybe use my new 'scope to find the hum.

Wayne, wipe that Bubinga down with lacquer thinner then spray it with real nitro-cellulose if Ok still allows it.
Re: Been other places for awhile but not idle [message #61402 is a reply to message #61400] Tue, 17 November 2009 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Bill Epstein wrote on Tue, 17 November 2009 17:32
Wayne, wipe that Bubinga down with lacquer thinner then spray it with real nitro-cellulose if Ok still allows it.

Sounds cool... Where do you suggest I get it? Any specific product you'd recommend? I did a search on the internet and found a wide variety of products from NC lacquer in aerosol cans to stuff made out of ping-pong balls.

Re: Been other places for awhile but not idle [message #61404 is a reply to message #61402] Tue, 17 November 2009 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Woodcraft sells Behlen in rattle cans but I thought you had a cabinet-maker out there that could spray?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005524/BEHLEN-Qualalacq-Lacquer-.aspx

Most pro shops use Mohawk products in bulk. Any competent re-finish/re-upholstery shop can do the job.
Re: Been other places for awhile but not idle [message #61406 is a reply to message #61404] Tue, 17 November 2009 20:27 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very good, I'll check into those two brands.

I do have a (new) cabinetmaker and he's applied laquer for me before. I've also taken delivery of some cabinets and tried my hand at finishing. And as a third option, there's another shop I've used that does nothing but apply finishes and restortation work.

Since these will be my cabinets, I can do the finish work myself but then again, might be better to leave it to the pros. Smile

Previous Topic: It's the end of Western Civilisation as we know it!!!
Next Topic: Variations on Pi Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 03:30:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout