Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Distance to furniture
Re: Distance to furniture [message #61153 is a reply to message #25134] Sun, 11 October 2009 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jimdgoulding is currently offline  jimdgoulding
Chancellor
This is an old query and response but in the case it is sometimes referenced I thought I would add my 2 pence. Getting the speakers out from nearby surfaces is a good thing. Four times their depth and three times their width or along those lines from walls will give them room to breathe and open up and out. In recordings that contain information about the locale of the recording be it a club or a hall, even artificially ambient recordings like electronic music, you want your system to reproduce that in addition to the shape and separation of instruments. If reflection is folding in and being added to what you hear at your seat too soon, all that is compromised. Bass can be elevated, also, particularly by nearness to corners. I think having hard objects like a coffee table between you and the plane of your speakers is a no go. The waveforms radiated by your speaker drivers should have an open path to your seat.

In the case of flat baffle or nearly flat baffle conventional box speakers, diffraction or the reradiation of waveforms by the cabinet is not only audible but measurable. What is summing in can be measured in both the time and frequency domains. It can cause an audible elevation to what is produced in the lower bandpass of tweeters and what is arriving late is out of time and phase. Correcting for it will preserve frequency linearity and the ability of our speakers to image correctly and more palpably. You can see measures being taken for its reduction in modern speaker design such as with Gallo, Theil, and Vandersteen speakers and more.

A good thing to remember . . waveforms contain all the information your system as best it is able to extract from your bits and grooves is working to deliver. Best we have regard for them.

Hear your music, not your speakers

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Bookshelves?
Next Topic: I've Got A Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 16:46:06 CDT 2024