Home » Audio » Measurement » On axis measurements in nearfield listening (I don't experience this as an issue... maybe you do??)
Re: On axis measurements in nearfield listening [message #60974 is a reply to message #60952] Mon, 21 September 2009 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've used computer models (both electro-mechanical and acoustic) to help me design crossovers and loudspeaker systems through the years. I've been using computers to help me design loudspeakers since the 1970's. But I always try to work with their limitations, and to understand what they can and cannot do. Computer models rely on simplifying assumptions so they become less accurate as system complexity increases. Things like diaphragm material and shape aren't included in the models, so there is an assumption of pistonic motion without consideration of breakup modes, and directivity and acoustic summing is over-simplified as well. It would be fairly complicated to include all the detail required to model these kinds of things.

I remember not so long ago when the systems required to do good acoustic measurement was prohibitively expensive for DIYers. Now there's some really good stuff out there for under $1K and some decent systems that work with a PC sound card are even free. I would encourage anyone that doesn't have this capability to get it and study - it isn't as difficult and expensive as it used to be. Still not trivial, by any means, but certainly within reach for the dedicated enthusiast.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: What are the differences of the sound when using different isolation transformers?
Next Topic: O Scope
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 16:52:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout