Home » Audio » General » My wife says I have a problem?
My wife says I have a problem? [message #60829] Thu, 10 September 2009 22:36 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I stopped by an estate sale on the way home and same home with a Realistic STA-11 receiver and a pair of Nova-10 speakers. The STA-11 has almost identical specs to the STA-111 (which you can see pics of on the net), but has an analog tuner dial instead of the digital display. I like the old analog tuner dials better anyway--they just look cool. Puts out 30wpc and has a phono section as well. The speakers are a sealed cabinet type with an 8" woofer, 8" radiator, and a little 2" tweeter with a small dome on it. They have the lattice grills on them as well. The speakers and receiver were owned by a little old lady who bought them new (they even came with the manuals. I doubt the speakers are even broke in! There isn't so much as a smudge on the real wood veneered cabinets or lattice, and the receiver looks like it just came off the shelf. Hooked the pair up and the speakers sound pretty damn good. They do vocals and anything with mids very, very well. But they are only 90dB efficient, but they might work well with a flea powered amp as they really aren't meant to be pushed hard.

For $30 I just couldn't pass it up. I have no idea what I'll do with them yet, but even the wifey thought the pieces looked very nice.
Re: My wife says I have a problem? [message #60831 is a reply to message #60829] Fri, 11 September 2009 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, good find! Brings back memories. Smile

Re: My wife says I have a problem? [message #60835 is a reply to message #60829] Fri, 11 September 2009 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Here's some screen shots of the 1982 catalog with them in there. The Nova 10's were new for 1981. I don't know about the STA-11.

index.php?t=getfile&id=68&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=69&private=0
  • Attachment: STA-11.JPG
    (Size: 206.16KB, Downloaded 1856 times)
  • Attachment: Nova 10.JPG
    (Size: 230.91KB, Downloaded 1932 times)
Re: My wife says I have a problem? [message #60874 is a reply to message #60835] Tue, 15 September 2009 09:28 Go to previous message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Great score Shane,

I think that you have a stereo that was manufactured by Pioneer during that era of Realistic offerings. But, don't quote me on that.

I have a few Harmon Kardon low wattage recievers from the early 1970's that sound great, one that puts out 18 watts and the other 25 watts.

These solid-state recievers will drive any reasonably efficient speaker to their physical limits without breaking a sweat.

Have fun with the score, new toys.

And tell your wife your problem is much better than chasing girls and hanging out in bars, or other alternatives distractions. That is what I tell Diana anyhow.

Norris
Previous Topic: Bottlehead / DIY Meeting - Houston, Sept 19th
Next Topic: Thoughts on this kit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 04 07:24:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers