Home » Audio » Speaker » Fitting line arrays together
Re: Fitting line arrays together [message #60810 is a reply to message #60809] Wed, 09 September 2009 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've said it before.

At the risk of a flame war, what options does a manufacturer of line arrays have?

Unless they contract with a manufacturer to actually make a dome speaker of their own design that allows very close c-to-c and employs some kind of snap together system they are pretty much limited to ribbons if they follow Griffin's white paper. The way I did it is: a) just too labor intensive, b) doesn't look super professional, c) costs too little(high cost is synonymous with quality).

So they have to use ribbons. Why don't they use the ones that Zaph determines to be the lowest distortion and flatest FR? Got Me!!

Zaph: Bohlender Graebener Neo3 PDR ($69 w/flange) - This B&G tweeter outperformed everything here, in most cases by a large margin. Response curve is ok, but nonlinear distortion is excellent. This is a very clean and natural sounding tweeter. Note: these were tested with the rear chamber in place. Later, with a different pair, I also tested with the chamber removed. The tweeter was far too overdamped in that case, and I recommend leaving the rear chamber installed.

But even if they did use them they still have to deal with the fact that they are too fragile to handle frequencies adequately below 4000, according to John(Zaph). But they tend to use large 6.5 - 8 inch speakers which start comb filter highfrequency cutoff at 1600 to 1900 hz.

Again I believe its a cost issue. They need to be using a smaller midrange speaker, but there really aren't any expensive small midrange speakers except now the Dayton RS 90.

Its a catch 22. Manufacturers of line arrays want to make some money with their product, but nobody who doesn't know will think its any good if they don't use tweeters which are really expensive, and mid woofers which are really expensive. But really discerning listeners who are not disuaded by the fact that they paid so much means it must be good scenario will notice the issues developed.

I feel for them. What they really need is that very expensive 3/4 inch dome with the snap together system, and a very expensive 4 inch mid woofer, and both of them have to use lots of brushed aluminum to make them look really expensive.

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Help with Potential Line Array Project
Next Topic: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 22:18:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio