Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » slope or slanted baffle vs stands four Pi
slope or slanted baffle vs stands four Pi [message #60725] Mon, 31 August 2009 18:02 Go to next message
hoerath7 is currently offline  hoerath7
Esquire
i have been tinkering with the four pi design for a few months and had a question or two. I love the sound I am getting out of the standard design but I was thinking about experimenting with the enclosure. I really want the sound to be at ear level. What would tilting the baffle back 10 degrees or so do to the sound? Is that an option? I know it might lose some floor loading but what should i expect and has anyone gone down this road.

I also wondered what effect putting them on stands would have. Stands are uglier (much uglier in my opinion) than sloped baffles. They also take up more space. If this is a better option over the slanted/sloped baffle I would consider it.

Either way ... i really feel like the sweet spot for this speaker is on axis at floor level... and i don't want to have to sit on the floor to listen to it!

Right now I have mockups built that are in 3.1 cu ft cabinets. I know the plans call for a 2.6 cu ft cab. Will a 2.6 cab sound better than a 3.1 cabinet and why? What differences would I experience or notice if I move to a smaller cabinet?

My other noob questions are whether I should build my final version of the cabinets out of BB. My mockups are mdf.

thanks so much
7 Smile

your music sounds like noise.
Re: slope or slanted baffle vs stands four Pi [message #60731 is a reply to message #60725] Mon, 31 August 2009 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Click here for a list of previous posts about stands and angled risers. You'll see I recommend angled risers when used without subs or 18" stands when used with subs. The reason for two different recommendations is that rising the speakers off the floor creates a self-cancellation notch in the upper bass or lower midrange but when subs are used, they can be blended in such a way that smooths the floor bounce and other room modes. The subs serve not only to increase extension but also to smooth response.

Re: slope or slanted baffle vs stands four Pi [message #60745 is a reply to message #60731] Wed, 02 September 2009 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
No wonder I was messed up on this subject, this is the same thing I found out. I should have read more threads ,it seems you have all the subjects on my Questions in previous threads. I just dont do a correct search sometimes, 35 years playing around with speakers. I sure wish I had this info in the 70s Thanks Wayne for your info. God bless !!!
Re: slope or slanted baffle vs stands four Pi [message #60750 is a reply to message #60725] Wed, 02 September 2009 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hoerath7 is currently offline  hoerath7
Esquire
Thanks wayne for the post... I had read a few of those links when I was searching but getting them on in one spot really helped. I am going to go ahead with risers.

Wayne-o what did you mess up exactly??? I gotta make sure I don't follow in your footsteps!

your music sounds like noise.
Re: slope or slanted baffle vs stands four Pi [message #60753 is a reply to message #60750] Wed, 02 September 2009 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
The woofer placement is very critical in the bass region. moving the woofer up was causing at least a 3 db loss in bass and about a 3 db gain in the midrange. I showed this to a friend of mine after already telling him what it would do , still when I moved the woofer to the floor he was amazed by 3 things,A lot more bass, less midrange and a completely different tone. Well I still dont know anything,and my nature is to always question anything new to me. Wayne P. is very factual and to the point. I am just a old Audio Tech. in Indiana.
Re: slope or slanted baffle vs stands four Pi [message #60754 is a reply to message #60725] Wed, 02 September 2009 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've heard Wayne's personal 4 Pi's in both configurations, but I have to tell you that when they are up on stands and augmented with subs they are truly outstanding. By far the best I've ever heard them sound. If $$$ and space allow that would be the way I would go.
Re: slope or slanted baffle vs stands four Pi [message #60755 is a reply to message #60725] Wed, 02 September 2009 20:06 Go to previous message
Psychoacoustic is currently offline  Psychoacoustic
Viscount
To echo Shane- multiple subs are more than an augmentation for the Pi4 on stands- they enable a whole other character to be revealed and do wonders for the listening room. Been using two Pi3 subs with Pi4 and other speakers- consider them a necessity now.
Previous Topic: Jimmy Ray Parham
Next Topic: Pi push pull slot loaded subwoofers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 04:57:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio