Home » Audio » Speaker » Latest Projects
Re: Latest Projects [message #60580 is a reply to message #59305] Tue, 11 August 2009 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
AudioFred wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 07:35

The most unusual is the Jim Griffin designed full range single driver mass loaded transmission line bipoles. This is my second build of these unusual speakers, which have a unique and pleasing sound of their own. My only criticism of these speakers is the lack of that sparkle you hear with a good two-way, and I'll probably add a supertweeter with a single cap crossover.

I finally got around to adding a supertweeter. For economy reasons I selected the Dayton ND20FA-6 3/4" Neodymium Dome Tweeter, crossed with a simple 1uF cap. The full range drivers still run full range. The result is very good.

On another forum Duke alluded to the fact that dipole and bipole speakers need to be placed at least three feet from the back wall to sound right, and that applies to this speaker. In the picture below it's less than three feet, but because it's so light I can easily pick it up and pull it out so it's sitting on the carpet for listening.

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132721_wacsQ#616868309_fQyk9

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Maggie in High Heels
Next Topic: HE indoor/outdoor speaker ideas?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 22:19:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio