Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2-pi tower.
2-pi tower. [message #60550] Sat, 08 August 2009 00:44 Go to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Does the tower pipe rez. increase the spl in the 75-80 hz range ?
I know you have said that you are using the port hemoholtz as the primary ,but the pipe freq. is still there. Thanks, I hope you can put these words together right. I dont have any software that models these type of cabinets.
Re: 2-pi tower. [message #60552 is a reply to message #60550] Sat, 08 August 2009 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I modeled the two π tower using Martin King's spreadsheets. I paid the license fee specifically to help develop this speaker, since the tower is physically tall and would suffer pipe modes in the passband. The woofer and port positions were chosen so Helmholtz resonance is the predominate tuning mechanism, reducing the influence of pipe modes by both position and damping.

You'll notice the plans suggest insulation span the cross-section of the cabinet, laying on the braces spaced 1/3rd the way from the top and 1/3rd the way from the bottom. This, in addition to the insulation on the cabinet walls and the position of the port and woofer, smooths pipe modes to the point where they are invisible to measurement and inaudible to the ear.

Re: 2-pi tower. [message #60555 is a reply to message #60552] Sat, 08 August 2009 21:51 Go to previous message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Thanks again.
Previous Topic: Pi 7 Plans
Next Topic: Harmonic Distortion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 00:16:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio